Facing the Horde

Eliza noticed several monsters sniffing the air and turning in her direction. She leaned closer to Percy and Annabeth. "Looks like some of them are getting suspicious. I'll move my scent away from you."

Percy nodded.

Eliza scratched Little Bob's head. "Hang on." She gave Percy and Annabeth one last look. "Meet you at the doors." Jumping, she unfurled her wings and glided above the crowd of monsters streaming slowly towards the doors.

She tried to keep pace with Bob and the others, but they were moving almost painfully slow. At one point, another titan actually stopped Bob and struck up a conversation with him. Thankfully, Bob was able to play it off and get passed the nosy titan.

They inched ever closer to the ominous Doors of Death - their way back to the surface. Or at least for some of them.

Eliza felt a stab of guilt as she remembered Jason. He would be heartbroken if Percy and Annabeth returned without her. He'd probably think she'd died... or worse.

She forced the thought from her mind. She knew why she was staying - to protect him - to protect everyone. If she returned to the world, Gaea would find a way to get to her - to make her hurt everyone she cared about. The only way to save them was to stay away.

The Doors loomed a few yards ahead. Bob had paused at the edge of the crowd as Percy and Annabeth crept towards the chains. The titans manning the doors paid them no heed, but one of them watched Eliza as she circled overhead. Not a good sign.

She dove to the side and landed in a dark secluded corner, away from the monsters. Shrugging, she retracted her wings and crouched in the shadows. Thorns sprouted from her palms like swords.

Percy was positioned by one of the chains on the rear of the doors, Annabeth on the other, blades poised to cut the metal bonds.

Annabeth shot Eliza a quick glance.

Eliza nodded. As soon as they cut those chains, everyone would know they were there. She'd have to be ready to fight.

Percy mouthed a count down - three, two, one. They swung their weapons in unison and the two chains broke, clattering as they dropped limply to the ground.

The titans turned, but Bob charged out of the crowd and confronted them. As the three titans fought, Percy darted to the third chain and sliced it with Riptide.

Annabeth made for the final chain, but something screamed and a tall red figure morphed out of the ground.

Eliza froze, skidding to a stop just shy of the doors. "Tartarus." Regaining her composure, she raced forward, blades drawn. She leapt at the god of the pit, slicing him across the stomach and tumbling backwards.

The cut immediately healed and the god shook with laughter.

Eliza stared him down. "Get out of here!" She called over her shoulder to Percy and Annabeth.

They didn't move.

"Now!" Eliza whirled, flicking her wrist and sending a thorn flying towards the final chain, it shattered one of the links freeing the doors.

"Argh!" Tartarus' voice drew Eliza's attention.

She turned just in time to see his hand flying towards her. The rough backhand threw her against the Doors of Death.

Percy paused in the doorway of the elevator as Annabeth fought off the swarm of monsters. "Eliza! Come on!"

She forced herself to her feet and met his gaze. "I can't!"

He sliced through a monster with his sword. "You'll die!"

She held his gaze, tears threatening to spill over. "I know." She turned back to Tartarus, who was gleefully watching Percy and Annabeth struggle. Eliza summoned thorns in her hands. She shrugged her wings into existence. "Alright, jerk, let's finish this."

Tartarus smiled at her wickedly, raising his sword.

Out of nowhere a large form dove into view, tackling Tartarus to the ground. Damasen dragged his father down the hill, away from the doors.

"Damasen!" Eliza took a step towards the fight.

"I can hold him!" Damasen assured. "Protect them!"

Eliza looked to where Bob was struggling to reach the button. Percy and Annabeth were fighting back the surge of monsters.

Eliza took a deep breath and lunged over the battle. "Close your eyes!" She yelled to her companions. She let her power pulse out across the monsters below, blasting them to glitter. When she reeled it back in, she dropped from the air.

Bob caught her before she hit the ground.

She met his gaze. "Nice catch."

He grinned back at her. "Nice trick." He set he down.

A chorus of growls sounded as the next wave of monsters crested the incline.

Eliza retracted her wings. "Get to the button. I'll hold them off."

She glared at the approaching monsters. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and sensed the ground. Something clicked and she grinned at her opponents. "Perhaps I should introduce myself." She clenched her fists and vines burst from the ground, entangling the oncoming monsters. "I'm the Angel of Death." She clenched her fist tighter and the vines tightened until the monsters exploded into a cloud of golden dust.

She lunged over the crowd, gliding on her wings, slashing and cutting down the mass of monstrosities. She flipped back towards Bob and dropped, driving her sword through the back of an empousai.

They locked eyes.

Bob nodded. "Seven minutes."

Eliza cracked her neck and turned back to the monsters. "Not a problem." She charged back into battle.

Finally, a soft ding echoed across the battle field. In a flash, the doors disappeared.

Eliza cut down one final monster and raced to Bob's side.

Damasen was still struggling with his father, but it was clear who would eventually win the fight.

Eliza met Bob's gaze. "If a Half-blood and a god can kill a giant, let's see what a goddess and a titan can do."

A grin spread across Bob's face and they rushed to Damasen's aid.