Chapter 11

And just like that, a week passed in the blink of an eye.

Every day has been the same. Get up and dressed with help from Maryanne and the maids. Go for a walk in the garden. Have lunch with Renée's mother, and sometimes Nigel. Then spend the rest of the day in the library, reading. About every four days the entire family would gather for dinner, but on days I would eat alone, I would get something simple brought to the library. This way, I could continue reading without interruption.

The library within the Ashern estate might be the nicest room in the entire manor. There are three floors. The bottom two are dedicated to shelves upon shelves of books. Arts, literature, math, science, history, philosophy, agriculture; you name it, it's on a shelf somewhere in this room. The third floor has almost no shelves and is a designated reading area. Tons of natural light streams through the large windows and garden doors, and plants surround the entire space. This sitting area is where I've been reading for the past week and gaining knowledge.

Starting with etiquette, I began reading books that would help me pass as Renée. From what I've gathered, she seems to be a pretty refined lady who's grown up in a sophisticated environment, so this would be important for me to know. I learned table manners and etiquette, how to dance, how to speak. I tried embroidery, and Renée's mother wasn't wrong when she said Renée is bad at crafts. Anything to do with my actions, however, I learned, but that only took me a few days at most.

I've always had a fairly excellent memory. I was almost valedictorian when I graduated because of my grades, though I lost to someone involved in extra-curricular activities. What's more, Renée's body has developed muscle memory. It naturally does things without me having to think about it, like which utensil to use. Once I realized that, it lifted an immense weight off my shoulders.

I scratch a note inside of my notebook before closing a book on a science. I set the book on the coffee table and sigh as I lean back in the love seat. I glance at the window and watch as the sun sets in the distance. It's around eight in the evening, and the sun is almost gone.

"Are you feeling alright, Lady Renée?" Maryanne asks as she pours me a cup of tea.

I look at her and smile. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You've been reading nonstop every day from lunch until you sleep."

"I'm sure."

"What piqued you interest recently? You never used to read often, and you rarely stepped foot in the library." She places a cup of tea in front of me.

I smile slightly as I reach for the cup. "I... realized I have so much to learn."

"I am unsure if I understand."

"I don't know if I do either." I giggle before taking a sip of tea. "Your tea is tasty as always, Maryanne."

"Thank you for the compliment." She smiles.

"You'll have to teach me how to make it sometime."

"You want to learn to brew tea?"

"I would love to make a tea that's as tasty as yours." I set the cup on the coffee table.

Her face flushes. "If you wouldn't mind my instruction."

"Of course not. I would appreciate it."

"Then, we'll do that sometime."

"One more question." I glance at the stacks of books sitting on the coffee table and rub the back of my neck.

"Yes?"

"The floor plan of the estate I asked for, is it almost finished?"

She thinks for a moment. "I believe someone will deliver it shortly."