Chapter 23

Four days later, the day my house arrest was lifted, and my opportunity to leave the estate arrived.

"What did you say?" I ask Nigel in surprise.

Nigel sets his teacup on the coffee table. "I received a letter from uncle Antonio and aunt Monica last night. It seems cousin Roman isn't feeling well at the moment."

"What do you mean when you say he isn't feeling well?" I set my teacup down as well.

"I'm not sure, since they didn't say. The last I heard from him was nearly two months ago, and then his letters stopped coming. I've been curious about why he hadn't contacted me, and then I receive a letter like that." Nigel sighs.

"That doesn't sound good. I hope he gets better soon." Although Roman Newfall isn't my cousin, he is still Renée's. "I hope it isn't anything serious."

"I agree. That's why I'll be visiting Peirpont this afternoon at the Newfall residence. I want to make sure he's alright." Nigel reaches for a cookie.

My eyes widen. "Can you repeat that?"

"I'm going to Peirpont today to visit Roman to see if he's alright."

"You're going to visit him?"

"Yes."

"Today?"

"Yes."

"You're going to Peirpont today?"

"Renée, why do you keep asking me the same questions over and over? Are you feeling alright?" He looks at me with a confused expression.

"I have an idea," I mumble to myself as a slight smile forms on my lips.

Nigel continues to stare at me with a confused expression for a moment before smiling. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his pocket watch. "It's already eleven. How time flies." He rises. "Sorry I can't stay longer and talk. I have a lesson with my tutor."

"It's no problem. We both have busy schedules."

"But it's the first time we've been able to have tea outside your room in almost two weeks. I wish I didn't have to leave so I could spend more time with you."

I chuckle. "Don't worry about it and go to your lesson. Father... and your tutor won't be happy if you're late."

He smiles. "Then I'll see you at dinner tonight."

"Of course," I say with a smile. He turns and walks out of the room.

As soon as I hear the doors click shut, I giggle before bursting into laughter. "Ha! this is way too convenient!" I shout to myself. How did Renée's cousin end up getting sick right around the time I need an excuse to leave the estate? It's too convenient to be true.

"Can I come in?" I hear Gwen ask as through the door as she knocks.

"Come on in," I call back as I try to contain my laughter.

Gwen pushes the door open and walks in, glancing around the sitting room. "Where did your brother go?" she asks as the door clicks shut.

"He... had... a lesson..." I say as I try to contain my laughter, but I can't and continue chuckling.

"Why are you laughing?" She gives me a confused expression.

"I'm just celebrating a small coincidence," I say as I try to pull myself together, giggling.

"Could I ask you to stop laughing? It's kind of distracting."

"Sorry. I'll try." I giggle.

Gwen sighs as a small smile forms on her lips. "Would you please explain to me what's so funny?"