- Twenty Three: Treachery -

Riley

After a night full of hunting deer and massacring tree trunks, my head was clear and ready for a meaningful conversation with my mate. I had decided, with the help of Harriet and Wednesday, that since we were destined to spend eternity together, we can't do that while mad at each other.

We had also discussed Echo's great escape. It was scheduled for noon that day, when Harriet delivered lunch. Wednesday would be hiding in her lunch cart, armed with knives, guns and fangs.

I nodded decisively as I knocked lightly on Dom's door. It was early, so maybe he was still asleep. Knocking again, I contemplated coming back later.

No, I said to myself, By then I'll lose my nerve.

Digging in my jean pocket, I pulled out the key with a 'D' marked on it. Dom had given it to me on our second night here. I shoved it in the lock firmly, letting my last bit of anger run out.

The door swung open easily and I pocketed the key. The lights were on. I hoped to myself that Dom hadn't been so angry that he got drunk and passed out. If that were the case, Nick and David would probably be lying around somewhere, too.

"Dom?" I called to nothing. The house was silent except for the chug of the freezer making ice.

Dom's apartment was only one story. The front door opened to a living room which led to a kitchen which led to the bedroom. The bedroom was dark.

I crept in slowly whispering, "Dom?" Still no reply.

I tip toed over to the bedside table and flicked on the small light that sat there. It was dim, but I could see the back of Dom's head. His brown hair was tossed all over the place and sticking up in spikes. I giggled silently at the sight.

Walking around the bed, his face was half covered by the sheets. I focused on his face to distract myself from the fact that he was shirtless. The half of his face that I could see was crinkled, telling me he was smiling while he slept.

"Dom?" I whispered, pulling back the covers a bit.

His arm was draped over something, and as I pulled back the covers to see what it was (hoping silently it wasn't a bottle), I flew back.

It was the top of someone's head. Blonde hair. The color of wheat. Pulling back the black sheet more, what I saw only confirmed the horrific ideas flooding my head.

It was Reina.

My mouth opened to scream, but no sound came. My vocal cords were as paralyzed as my mind, which was repeating Reina is in Dom's bed, Reina is with Dom, Dom and Reina...

"Dom?" I finally was able to voice, a bit louder. Even to my own ears, I sounded weak and my voice was shaking.

A minute drifted by. It was like the world had stopped spinning, every entity in the universe turned to watch what was going to happen. What has already happened.

"Mmmumph..." Dom grumbled, shifting slightly. Thankfully his motion didn't unsettle his guest. His eyes opened, and his steel gaze locked on my face. Dom must have seen the tears that were already flooding my face because he looked puzzled, "What's wrong?"

I closed my eyes, not wanting to see any more. I covered my mouth, crying silently.

Dom glanced down then and did a double take. Each time he looked between sleeping Reina and myself, his expression grew more and more bazaar.

"Riley, I-" That was all I had time to hear him whisper before I bolted from the room.