- Twenty Five: Broken -

Dom

I pounded on her door, begging with whomever was listening that she would let me in. Let me explain.

Riley had been right all along. Reina was evil. Perhaps more evil than Eran. She had manipulated me. She had broke me using myself. I was the knife that cut Riley so deeply.

Riley? I called through our thoughts, desperate for anything. Even the slightest hum from her mind to let me know she hadn't shut me off completely.

Frustrated and angry towards Reina and myself, I punched the closest thing to me. Riley's apartment door creaked, then fell off the hinges.

The lights were on. "Riley?" I called.

Nothing.

I zoomed through every room of her apartment, becoming more and more hysterical and disappointed every time I left an empty room. In the kitchen I found the door to the next apartment was open with a broken deadbolt lying on the ground. No one was here.

Riley? Where are you? I shouted through the Kelting. Still no reply. Still no hum of consciousness. She had tuned me out.

I sunk into a kitchen chair and cupped my soaked face with my hands. Soaked from sweat or tears or both, I wasn't sure and didn't care.

I wiped the water away, and with clearer vision I spotted a napkin and a familiar ring sitting on the table.

It was the elemental ring I had given Riley. Picking up the napkin, it read in rushed handwriting:

The ring doesn't work. Not only did I get hurt, I was broken. Do not look for me.

Riley was gone. She had left the Hub. She had left me.