Back to School

The problem with getting cocky is that the Universe enjoys slapping you back down. I might have become a little too confident after the 4th of July, so it was the Universe's job to bring me back down to size. And the way the Universe chose to do it was by placing me in the friendzone.

I know that Josh had mentioned he thought we should be friends, but I thought that would just be a stepping point. Especially since right after that, it had seemed like he was moving us into a more romantic albeit slow relationship. And really most of our interactions after that, had felt a tinge romantic. Well, maybe if you squint. Which I think is why I was so surprised when we took a step back.

We had just a little over a week left until school started, so Riley and I were trying to take advantage of the remaining time. After the 4th, I had worked out a decent schedule with Riley and Lucas. There were times when all three of us would hang out, but I also had alone time with Riley and so did Lucas. It was working perfectly, but I wasn't sure how school was going to change that dynamic.

As sad as I was to see the summer end, though, I also was looking forward to Josh living in the same city again. We hadn't seen each other in almost two months. So as soon as he was back, I was going to figure out a way to spend more time with him.

Which I was debating on whether I should tell Riley when I heard Auggie yell, "Uncle Josh!"

I turned to Riley and asked, "Were you expecting Uncle Boing?"

She shrugged and then grabbed my hand, dragging me to the living room. "Uncle Josh," she said giving him a hug.

I thought about following suit, but really had matured past that. Instead, I nodded at him and said, "Boing." Okay, maybe I hadn't matured that much.

"Hey Maya," Josh responded and then turned to Mr. Matthews and said, "My Brotha."

To which of course Mr. Matthews replied, "My Brotha. What are you doing here, Josh?"

"I'm moving into the dorm today, so I thought I would swing by and say hi to everyone before I get sucked into the void of classes."

"What are you talking about?" Mrs. Matthews asked Josh.

"Sophomore classes are harder than Freshman classes. I'll probably be doing nothing but studying until break."

"Yeah, I highly doubt that. But since you have limited freedom, do you want us to come help you unload your stuff and then maybe take you out to dinner?"

"Would you? That would be great," Josh said.

So, we all trooped off to NYU to help Josh. It probably didn't need all of us and we likely made it more work, but it was nice to see the family support him. As we were unloading, Mrs. Matthews tried to calm Josh down. Auggie, however, was more successful without even trying.

Everywhere we went on campus, Auggie was fascinated and continued to ask Josh questions. Which Josh patiently answered. He even went out of his way to show Auggie the things he thought Auggie would like. This relaxed Josh as well as made him remember all the things he liked about school. By the time we finished unpacking the car, Josh was back to his normal self.

We were hanging out in Josh's room discussing where we were going to go eat, when a couple of girls walked in the room.

"Hey Josh, we didn't mean to interrupt you with your family. Just wanted to see how your summer was," one of the girls said.

It was all very polite however I could tell that the girls were interested in him. And Josh seemed to bask in their attention. Even appearing to reciprocate the interest.

"Hey Nicole, hey Kristin, it's good to see you. This is my brother, his family, and my niece's best friend. Guys, this is Nicole and Kristin," Josh said.

His niece's best friend? That was how he introduced me? It felt like he was exaggerating our age difference and I couldn't tell why. Maybe he didn't want these girls to think he was attached or something.

"Well, we were wondering if you wanted to join us at the student union, but it looks like you're busy," the one I think was Kristin said.

"Oh, we are just about to go to dinner, but next time. In fact, why don't I give you my number," Josh said before he rattled off his number.

My eyes widened in shock. My Boing just gave two girls his number, in front of me? What did that mean? We hadn't really been alone the whole time, so we hadn't done our normal long game confirmations, but I hadn't thought anything about it. Now, I was going back over the day and trying to determine if Josh had purposely been avoiding me or if it was an accident.

"Thanks, we'll definitely text you later," Nicole's voice broke through my thoughts.

"Sounds good, I'll catch you guys later," Josh said as the girls made their way out the door.

Riley was staring at me as I watched Josh watch them leave. She put a comforting hand on my arm, and I gave her a little smile as I blinked back the tears. I should have known that Josh wasn't going to stop dating until the both of us were ready for someday. I guess I had just hoped that it would never be in front of my face.

By that point, the Matthews had decided where they wanted to go for dinner, but I knew that I needed to be by myself. I told them I had forgot I was doing something with Shawn and Mom, so I needed to head out. The family gave me sympathetic looks as I escaped, which made me feel even worse.

As I fled from the room, Josh chased after me, calling out, "Maya, wait!"

I wanted to keep going, but I stopped and turned back to him. "What Josh?" I asked.

"Maya, you've got to know that was completely innocent. They are just friends."

"Friends who are interested in you."

"Even if they are, I have no interest in them," Josh said running a hand through his hair.

"You introduced me as Riley's best friend," I answered quietly.

"That's who you are. You also just happen to be my friend. How else am I supposed to introduce you?"

"You're right, I guess that's exactly how you should refer to me. I really have to go. I'll see you later," I said as I started walking away.

"Later, Maya," Josh called after me.

Maybe he didn't have any interest in those girls, but he also made it clear that he wanted to think of me as just a friend. We had agreed that we would both live our lives, so maybe I needed to stop thinking about Josh as mine, so it wouldn't hurt so much.