➳ ︎Paying For Sins ➳︎

Chapter Eight

➳︎

NUMBNESS.

There was no searing pain of betrayal, no cold chill of worry. There was nothing, but numb. Thea watched, as if time itself had slowed, as the dagger flew towards her; glistening silver reflecting the killer that escaped the cage from inside Anya. There was no stopping the knife, Thea knew that, but even if there was, did she want to?

What was waiting for her if she survived? She was a traitor to her people, an enemy to SkaiKru, her only friend left was with Octavia, starting the new chapter of his life. Lexa had declared her as a deserter of Trikru, Anya's attack supplied that much. And Thea wondered wether her decision had laid heavy on her heart; did Lexa even care?

There was nothing for her but an endless life of pain and disgrace from those she had grown to know as her friends, people and family. The knife was still coming towards her, heads moving to watch the projectile pin it's target, it would be quite the finale. To die by the hands of her mentor, in a place with no meaning, memory or comfort, she would die cold and dishonoured.

"Nou fir wamplei raun. Fir ai!" ( Do not fear death, fear me! ) Anya's final scream echoed throughout her ears, lingering on every word said and intensifying the venom of which it was spoken with. And Thea was ready.

But then she felt it, nimble fingers on her waist, fingertips digging into her skin and pushing forcefully to the left. Her body moved with the force, swaying to the side and head whipping back to watch an exhausted Raven fall painfully against the crates, half-lidded eyes widening at the outcome of her actions.

Time corrected, and all eyes landed on Thea, mouths agape in stunned silence as the grounder stood there with the blade engulfed into her shoulder. And yet she made no sound. Not one. Slowly turning her head, her gaze dropped to the handle of the dagger, the engravings on the fine leather resembling Trikru.

Small trails of blood soaked through her shirt and dribbled down her shoulder, her blood mixed with the stench of sweat as it dropped slowly onto the ground, little by little. But Thea wasn't focussed on the blood, more so the cold emerald-green that stared back at her. Lexa...

Thea could recognise those cold-hearted, emotionless and guarded orbs anywhere. They haunted her dreams, produced a shadow of pain and disappointment and blocked the light of the world. To Thea, the eyes that stared back at her weren't Lexa's...they were The Commander's, and yet Thea couldn't help but see herself in them.

Unconsciously, Thea had become an emotionless statue of stone and only crumbling in front of a select few. She wasn't as open as she'd hoped to be, and she was following the path of her sister, sooner or later she'd be dead to the world. With glistening eyes, the brunette raised her head and peered at Anya from hooded eyes, all barriers down, with an eruption of feeling circulating throughout her body.