➳ Grief and Answers ➳

Chapter Twelve

NEWS HAD SPREAD FAST. The attack on TonDC had caused an uproar of outrage throughout the grounder community. Trikru were thirsty for blood and retribution; all signs of peace that the SkaiKru had been hoping for were thrown into the fire.

Kane and Jaha sat with their backs pressed against the stoned wall, chained to a small pillar hammered into the ground that kept them prisoners. The two men looked beyond exhausted, Jaha having been thrown underground long before Kane had; evident by the grime and dirt permanently seared onto his skin.

Kane had come to the grounders on his own accord, a last ditch effort to propose a peace deal. His original plan of meeting with their leader had immediately been disregarded as the black hood was roughly placed onto his head and guided through the streets of the grounder village. Kane couldn't see the murderous glances he was given...but he felt the eyes on his back and the tension in the air.

Jaha had told Kane of his journey to earth, his saviours in the desert who helped him gain back his strength. What Kane didn't understand however was how he had wound up in the same circumstances he had. Jaha sighed as he rested his head against the wall, basking in the small amount of sunlight that peaked through the grate above them.

"Marcus, it does not matter how I came to be here," Jaha gestured around himself, scrunching up the dirt on the ground in a fist before dropping it. "They found me, and I came willingly." Kane looked bewildered at the man before him, the Jaha he remembered aboard the Ark was depressed and bruised with the knowledge that his son was dead. By all counts, the previous chancellor had given up. But now, as the dark skinned man sat calmly, almost peaceful, it was like he had shed his coat of grief and embraced hope.

Kane didn't have time to question Jaha's new found acceptance as his attention was quickly torn away from his friend and towards the sound of heavy footsteps descending the steps to them. Both men, unashamedly, cowered away from the especially large man whom looked down on them in disgust as he stepped through the threshold of the jail.

His head held an abundance of hair, multiple braids threaded with multicoloured string and beads, his facial hair was an impressive size as it reached his chest in length. His bulky frame added to his stoic expression as he gruffly stood towering over the two, much weaker, men. Over his right shoulder, a red sash hung - an obvious sign of respect being given to whomever wore it - a fact that Marcus Kane did not miss. The Commander.

His final step ended just feet in front of the two SkaiKru, a firm hand tightening around the hilt of his sword as his gruff stand-offish nature giving off a hostile presence. This was proven as he merely nodded his head towards Jaha and two warriors came forward. Jaha was immediately on the defensive as he tried pushing away the two hostiles, but to no avail as he was soon beaten to the floor - punches and kicks being thrown at him.