three

my ears burned at the sound of my mom screaming at me from downstairs. i quickly rolled over and shoved a pillow on top of my face, trying to drown out her voice. it didn't work, sadly, so i had no other option than to get out of bed.

with a groan, i stumbled out of bed, my hair all over the place and my clothes wrinkled from how hard i had slept. i walked downstairs to mom on the house phone, frantically gesturing me over.

" yes, they're here now! so sorry for the wait. " she said politely, handing me the phone and walking away with no explanation.

" hello? " i asked as a rubbed my eyes. the tiredness was evident in my voice.

" hey y/n. just wake up? " ah, simon. i could hear the smirk in his voice as he teased me.

" no, i actually haven't slept in 48 hours. "

i heard him laugh on the other side of the line, which made me smile.

" well, if you're up for it it's really slow right now and my manager said you're hired, so.. you should probably come to the store. "

i turned and leaned against the wall.

" hmm.. alright. give me at least an hour though, i'm not even awake yet. " i joked. he agreed, and hung up. i placed the phone back on its mount, and as i was heading up the stairs my mom came out of nowhere, bombarding me with questions.

" who was that? why is he calling us? is he from the job? or is it a boyfriend maybe? y/n- "

" jesus, mom, calm down, " i laughed a little. " that was simon, no he's not a boyfriend and yes, he's from the store down the block. "

she sighed in relief. " okay- i was just making sure. are you going down there soon? "

i nodded. " i need to shower first, but yea. apparently i'm hired already. "

mom stopped, hugging me and kissing my forehead. " so responsible, " she said with a smile.

i cringed. " i have to get ready now.. " i slipped from her grasp and ran upstairs to the bathroom, finally escaping to my privacy.

~

after i got dressed and ready, i left the house, getting in my car and driving to the store. when i parked i knew simon wasn't kidding about it being slow.

there was one other car in the parking lot, which i was guessing was his, and to add to it a grocery bag tumbled across the street.

i sighed and walked inside. just like outside, completely empty.

" simon! " i called. i heard some shuffling in the back, and there was simon running to the front of the store.

" hey y/n! " he grinned, placing his hands on his hips. he looked excited to be at his job for once. i couldn't tell if it was because it was slow, or i was here now.

i returned the smile.

" are you ready to train for the best job you've ever had in your entire life? " his grin turned into a smirk and he turned on his heel to walk to towards the back of the store.

" i guess so, i don't know if i'd count this as the best job ever though.. " i noticed some weird stains on the floor. gross.

" yea, you're right. anyways, first off you need to know where everything is, " he began to explain.

the next thirty minutes or so was simon showing me where most of the general products were, like meats, dairy, veggies, and necessities. it was fairly easy to memorize, so we finished that quickly.

after that was showing me how to work the register, how to restock, and where the cleaning supplies were (which was apparently very important.)

" well.. i think you're ready! " he grabbed my shoulders with a smile. " the initiation is complete. "

i blinked. then, let out a laugh. he started laughing as well as his hands dropped from my shoulders.

" you are very, very strange, simon. "

" i get that a lot! come on, let's get your uniform so you can look all official, "

he dug through a bin of work aprons, then tossed one at me, which i caught. i put it on. it was very itchy and smelled a little like ham.

" you'll get used to the smell, " simon mentioned, standing up.

i frowned. just then, the bell at the entrance dinged, and i watched simon's stance change completely. there goes customer service mode.

just as quickly as he turned it on, he went right back to regular old simon when he saw who walked in.

" kate! hey! " he walked over and gave her a hug, before letting go and walking back to where we were standing before.

" hey guys! i heard y/n got hired, i figured i could stop by and see you guys. " she smiled at me, and i returned it. 

" yeah, i finally won't be dying of loneliness here. " simon said. me and kate laughed a little. i hopped up on the counter, swinging my legs a little. simon did the same, although he almost fell over while trying, unlike me.

i snickered a little at him, which he responded to with a playful kick to my leg.

" so, you both get off at five, right? " kate asked as she looked between us. we both nodded. " great- we should do a sleepover! "

a sleepover honestly sounded great. i could get to know them better and it would be fun. to be honest, the last time i'd been to a sleepover was probably in middle school. 

" sure! " i responded eagerly. simon agreed as well, and that was that. a sleepover. tonight.

~

the rest of the shift was boring, so kate stayed and chatted with us. she'd be the one driving us both to her house, so it was easier for her to stay. finally, it was five, and we both clocked out and took off our uniforms, heading to meet kate in her car.

" oh-! simon, i'll be out in a second. let me call my mom and tell her i won't be home. " he responded in a thumbs up, and headed out to the car. i picked up the phone and dialed home. my mom answered almost immediately.

" hello? y/n? "

" hey mom! "

" oh!! how was work? "

" it was good, a little boring though. hey, i just wanted to say i'm gonna spend the night at my friend kate's house, i'll call you in the morning, okay? "

" alright, stay safe! i love you! "

" love you too! " i hung up with a smile, and dashed out to the car.

" ready? "

" yep! "

A/N: okay first off, this took so long to get out im sorry! ive had bad writer block with this story, and just had no idea what to do with this chapter. there might be some spelling errors, since i wrote half of this at like 3 am and haven't proofread it.

also i have another simon fanfic idea, so lmk if you want me to post it after i finish this, or just whenever i feel like writing the first chapter :) 

that's all okay bye