The Man With No Face

I woke up with a start. Flying into a sitting position, I looked at the empty bed beside me. I felt sick to my stomach. Had that... had that thing come back? Had it taken Jonathan?

"Mom-"

"I know. I know," I heard Joyce's voice say, an I-can't-believe-it-either tone clear in her voice.

I breathed a sigh of relief, rubbing my eyes before getting out of bed and padding towards Will's room.

"Just watch," Joyce's voice was getting louder as I got closer, "Will... your brother's here."

"Will?" I asked, opening the door.

"Gracie," Joyce breathed, throwing a questioning look Jonathan's way.

"It's a long story," he muttered.

"Where is he? Where's Will? You found him?" I asked, approaching the pair.

"Not quite, honey, but he is here," Joyce said, gesturing for her to sit on the other side of her.

"Mom-" Jonathan said again, disbelief seeping into his voice.

"Just.. watch," Joyce commanded, gesturing towards the dozens of lamps she had displayed in front of us, "Will... Jonathan's here... and Gracie too. Can you show them what you showed me, baby?"

After a pause one of the lights flickered on for half a second.

"Look! Look!" Joyce gestured madly at it.

"Mom!" Jonathan groaned, "It's the electricity! It's the same thing that fried the phone!"

"No, Jonathan, it's not the electricity! Something is going on here. Yesterday, the wall-"

"What about the wall?" Jonathan asked, throwing his hands in the air.

"I don't know, I don't know. I just know that Will is here," Joyce all but yelled, tears streaming down her face.

"No, Mom," Jonathan said in a small voice before sighing, "Look... I'm going to go and make some breakfast. Try and get some rest, okay? Can you do that for me?"

Joyce sighed, defeated, before nodding.

"Gracie? Do you want anything?" Jonathan asked.

"No thanks, I'm good," I replied, eyes still glued to that one lamp, "I need to go and see Hopper."

"Do you need me to go with you?" Jonathan asked, worry clear in his voice.

"I'll be fine. I'll walkie Dustin and take it from there. Thanks though. I'll see you at school."

Jonathan nodded before padding down towards the kitchen, rubbing the back of his head exasperatedly.

"He doesn't believe me," Joyce said, voice small.

"About what?" I asked.

"About Will being here. Gracie, he talks to me... through the lights. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. And yesterday! There was a phone call and I picked it up and there was this breathing down the other end of the line and then suddenly, he asked for me, Gracie- he asked for me! But then the phone was fried just as he was about to tell me where he was."

"He called you?" I asked, in disbelief, "Have you told Hopper?"

Joyce scoffed, "I don't think Hop would believe me if I did... they all think I'm crazy down at that station."

"Yeah well they'll be thinking the same about me once I've been this morning," I muttered.

"Gracie, what's wrong? Are you in some kind of trouble?" Joyce asked, putting a gentle hand on my arm.