Will's Missing

Hawkins Secondary School was on the way to Hawkins High, about a two minute walk away from it to be exact, so it only made sense for me to walk Dustin to school every morning. To be honest, it was probably my favourite part of the day; the two of us would just talk about anything that came to our heads as he rode his bike at a snail's pace and I wandered along beside him. Today, we were on the topic of if Dustin was ever Dungeon Master at the party's D&D sessions. It was only ever Mike or Will who assumed this role; Lucas was more a fan of gaming than writing, and Dustin never usually had any ideas for new campaigns.

"So the goblin could like steal an item if players don't roll an 8 or higher," Dustin suggested.

"Yeah that makes sense! You could have them captured by trolls or something too?"

"Like in the Hobbit!" Dustin exclaimed.

"Exactly like in the Hobbit!"

"Hey guys!" 

The two of us looked up, seeing Mike and Lucas waving madly at us.

"Morning," I greeted as we wandered over.

"Hey, you guys seen Will?" Mike asked, brow furrowed.

"Today?" I asked.

"Since D&D," Lucas clarified.

"Well he went as far as our house with us," Dustin started.

"And I watched him cycle like half the rest of the way home from there, up until that corner at the end of the street- you guys know the one," I continued.

The boys nodded.

"Maybe he's sick?" Lucas suggested.

"He seemed fine last night," Mike mused.

"Guys don't worry about it, I'm sure he's got the flu or something," I reasoned with them.

All the boys nodded.

"Anyway, you guys better head in, and I better get to school- don't want to be late," I chimed.

There was a round of "see you Gracie"s as I walked away. When I turned round to wave, I saw the trio had already been cornered by the two school bullies.

"You mouth-breathers better back off before I come over there and make you," I shouted in warning.

James and Troy pulled faces at me but wandered off all the same. The boys sent me grateful smiles and waved as they walked towards the front entrance. I sighed, walking towards the high school building I could see through the trees. I was really going to have to teach them how to handle people like James and Troy. I looked at my watch.

"Shit," I muttered, picking my pace up to a run as I raced towards school.

Sliding through the front doors before they shut, I power walked to my locker to pick some stuff up. As I made my way there, I saw Barb stood at her locker.

"Hey," I said breathlessly as I made my way up to her.

"Hey," she laughed, "You made it."

"I'm not late, am I?" I asked, smile dropping.

"No, no, you're perfectly on time," she smiled, following me to my locker.

"Did you manage to get that chemistry done?" I asked.

"Yeah, I thought it was pretty easy," she admitted, and I nodded.

Before we could say anything else, we saw Nancy walk sheepishly out of the ladies room, looking both ways before scuttling over to her locker. Barb and I frowned at each other, confused at her weird behaviour.