A Chill in the Air

I was secretly over the moon every time I passed under a streetlight on my way down the dark road. I was on my way to Mike Wheeler's house to pick up my brother. When Mum had seen how dark it was out, she'd started worrying, and I knew I'd never hear the end of it if Dustin had to cycle home in the dark. So here I was, early November, rubbing my hands together in an attempt to stay warm as I walked. 

My ears pricked as I heard rustling in the bushes. My head snapped round but I couldn't see what was there. I stood still for a few moments, just listening. Nothing. I sighed and started walking again. If there was one thing I hated about winter, it was the darker nights, and if there was one thing I hated about Hawkins, it was the woods and their ability to play tricks on you. Paired together, that was a combination I'd rather not think about, so I picked up my pace and carried on.

It wasn't long before I saw the lights of the Wheeler house, and I couldn't have been happier. I headed up the drive before rapping on the door and bobbing up and down to keep warm as I waited for someone to answer it.

"Oh hi, Gracie," Karen opened the door with a smile, "Come on in, how are you?"

"Great thanks, Mrs Wheeler," I replied, stepping inside and wiping my shoes on the welcome mat; "And yourself?"

"I'm all good, thank you. The boys are in the basement if you want to head down."

"Yeah I will. Thanks, Mrs Wheeler," I said as I headed over to the basement door.

As I walked down the stairs, I could hear Mike's voice dramatically projecting across the room... he's Dungeon Master tonight then.

Getting to the bottom, none of the boys had noticed me yet and I leaned against the rail as I watched them play their game... albeit rowdily.

"Use the fireball!" Lucas all but screamed at Will, who was looking around with a deer-in-headlights look on his face.

"No! Only an idiot would do that! Cast a protection spell!" Dustin demanded.

As Will looked around in somewhat of a panic, his eyes landed on me and he sighed in relief.

"Gracie, what do you think I should do?" he asked, and all the boys snapped their attention to me.

"Well..." I started, as I headed further into the room, "I'd probably cast the protection spell, but maybe that's me playing it a bit too safe. It's whatever you want to do, buddy."

Will sighed, frowning in concentration.

"Don't listen to her," Lucas exploded, "Use a fireball!"

"Hey! Everyone listens to my sister, so shut up you son-of-a-bitch!" Dustin pointed angrily at Lucas from across the table.

"Dustin!" I gasped, "Language."

"Sorry, Gracie," he held up his hands, and everyone turned their attention back to Will.

Lucas' stare must have won out intensity wise as Will eventually yelled, "Fireball!"

He launched the dice across the table and one went flying across the room. The boys leapt off their chairs and scrambled about trying to find it. I watched incredulously as Dustin scrambled past my feet on all fours.

"I hate to break up the party, but maybe that'd be a good place to end it, guys," I said.

"What?!" 

Four heads snapped in my direction and I sighed; "Guys, it's nearly midnight and you've all got school tomorrow. You've been playing for hours and hours, and I think maybe this is the game's way of telling you it's time to call it a night."