-02- Like A Damn Sociopath

CHAPTER TWO

"Well, good for you, you look happy and healthy, not me, if you ever cared to ask. Good for you, you're doin' great out there without me, baby, like a damn sociopath."
~Olivia Rodrigo, 'good 4 u'

~~~

August has always considered himself to be a well-spoken individual. In school, his teachers would praise his essays for being articulate and polished. His boss at the newspaper has noted on several occasions that August's reviews are very eloquent.

But now, staring at the man who left his heart shattered three years ago, August finds himself unable to remember even a single letter of the English alphabet.

He can't believe his eyes, that Griffin Ortiz is actually here, standing so close that August can see every detail of his face. Griffin hasn't changed much, sending August into a dream-like daze where he's caught up in how much he actually missed this man.

His inky black hair looks as soft as ever, although now it's longer on top and shaved on the sides. And while Griffin's skin has always been tan from his Puerto-Rican roots, August notes that his complexion has gotten a bit darker over the past few years.

Still, even through the way Griffin's appearance has changed naturally with age, August can see the physical similarities between the Griffin standing before him now, and the Griffin he knew as children. The one who would run with him to the old convenience store on the corner to grab handfuls of popsicles, when summer's heat made all the kids go wild for cold treats. The one who would crawl with August onto the roof of his house when they were in middle school, and August needed to vent about his parents' divorce. The one who gave August the courage to come out in high school, after Griffin carried his secret for months and supported his friend along the way. That's the Griffin that August has missed.

His brief reminiscing turns sour when the two lock eyes, and August recalls how those dark eyes had looked at him years ago while stomping August's heart into the dust. Swallowing thickly, August reminds himself that the Griffin standing in front of him is not the same Griffin from his childhood. Because past-Griffin would've kicked present-Griffin in the balls for what he did.

"Griffin?" Holden speaks up first, his arm still wrapped around Elliot's shoulders. "What are you doing here?"

Griffin tilts his head to the side with an innocence that nearly makes August laugh from the insanity of the concept.

"Uh... seeing Elliot's show?" Griffin answers, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "What, am I not allowed?"

"We didn't know you were home," Elliot says. His eyes dart over to August, who's still frozen in place.

"I wanted to surprise you. My flight got in a few hours ago, so I quickly stopped by home to get changed and then came here."

"You're staying with mom and dad?" Holden asks his younger brother.

Griffin nods. "For now, until I can find an apartment. The housing market is crazy right now, isn't it? Es una mierda. Anyway, am I going to get a welcome home hug or what?"

Unable to contain a grin, Holden steps into his brother's tight embrace, patting his back. Elliot is next, wrapping his arms around Griffin's neck and telling the latter how good it is to see him. When they separate, Elliot pecks Griffin fondly on the cheek.

Turning his attention to August, Griffin holds out his arms with a toothy smile, and August's chokes on his own spit.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," August finally says.