Chapter 11: The Sycamore

Stiles was holding onto the blanket his dad had given him and staring up at the sycamore's branches. He'd had an idea and was trying to work out logistics.

The sycamore was old and huge. The branches didn't start until higher than the roof of their house, where their spread created a platform, wide and big enough to hold someone. Stiles had always wanted to climb up there, but he'd never managed it. What better way to spend his first night or what was left of it, but up in his mom's tree? He really needed to feel close to her right now and the tree was one of the places he'd always had her by his side.

Stiles placed his hand on the bark. He could feel the tree inside his mind, in his body. He learnt the ways to climb it, hold the bark, position himself like he was part of the tree itself. Placing the blanket over a shoulder, he gripped above his head. His new strength allowed him to move with confidence and he slowly and wonderfully found himself going up the outside of the tree. He wasn't even out of breath when he rolled over into the bower. He lay up against the trunk which continued to rise high above his head. The bower created a perfect bed for him.

"Wow," was all he could say, and he laughed at the awesomeness of what he'd done. And it wasn't just the climbing, although being able to Spider-Man his way up a tree was pretty cool. Being connected to the sycamore was like having a steady, strong and ancient heart inside him. He was connected to the flow of sap, water, nutrients and energy. They were all flowing in sync; a perfect dance that allowed the tree to grow.

Stiles rubbed his hand over the tree and smiled for a second more before his smile dropped away. He wasn't cold but he draped the blanket over himself and curled up underneath it. He'd been surprised when his dad had come back out of the house and handed it to him. A part of him had expected the door to close the first time and not open again. He'd never felt so distant from his dad as he did now. Not even when he'd been possessed. His dad had still fought for him then. Hadn't turned away from him. Never looked at him like he had tonight.

In his heart of hearts, Stiles had been waiting to loose his dad. It was an ugly stain that had been part of him since his mom got sick. He'd always known he would screw up so badly one day that his dad would stop wanting him around. He'd thought it would be a million things. His ADHD and all the problems it caused. The possession. Donovan. Being involved in the supernatural. Killing his mom, although he was pretty sure his dad didn't know about that one. But he'd been wrong. Being fae was the deal breaker. Stiles still hoped they could come back from this, but he didn't know how to fix it. He couldn't undo what he was, he couldn't be anything other than fae. Had Scott ever worried that his mom would stop loving him when she first found out he was a werewolf?

The lights were on in his house. Stiles didn't know if his dad was asleep or not, but given that he had to work in the morning, he hoped he was sleeping. He hated when his dad went to work tired. He needed to be at the top of his game in his profession. It kept him safer, which made Stiles worry less that he wasn't going to come home. He didn't know how he'd survive without his dad.

***

Stiles stayed up in the sycamore all night. He watched the sunlight become stronger as the day began and the infinitesimal budding of leaves on the tree. If he stayed there long enough he'd witness the leaves cover the whole tree in lush shades of green. The idea was more appealing than it would have been only a day ago.

The back door of the house opened and Stiles peeked over the edge of the bower. His dad came out and looked around the yard, carrying a smoothie drink in his hand. "Stiles?"

Stiles almost called out, but then he thought about how his dad would react to him being up the tree. He sunk lower where he lay.

His dad walked around the yard, periodically calling out for him, for far longer than Stiles thought he would. Eventually, he checked his watch and the smoothie was placed on the porch table. With one last look around the yard, Stiles' dad went back inside. The cruiser left the driveway a minute later.