Chapter 17: The Loss

Stiles was recharged after his swim in the river, but he was still jittery and anxious to be outside the animal clinic knowing Deaton was inside waiting for them. He dug his toes into the dirt and shoved his hands under his armpits. He didn't have any shoes on, but going without was his thing now.

"You got this, Stiles?" Derek asked.

"Probably no, but you've got me so we're as good as we're going to get," Stiles answered honestly.

They were about to go inside when Derek swore and held Stiles back. That was when he heard it. Scott's bike. Deaton must have thought he needed back-up. Smart man.

Scott parked and pulled off his helmet. "Stiles, Derek, what are you doing here?"

"Just planning on having a chat with Deaton is all," Stiles said, innocently.

Scott opened the door to the clinic. "That why he called me in, then?"

"We couldn't tell you why he called you, Scott," Derek answered. "Perhaps a cat needs its nails clipped."

Stiles choked out a surprised laugh and gently shoved Derek as Scott led them into the clinic. Stiles opened the barrier and they went into the back examination room.

"Scott, thank you for coming at such short notice," Deaton said, sitting on a chair at the metal table. "Stiles, you seem better than when I saw you last."

Stiles clenched his fists in his shirt pockets, nails biting into his palms. He didn't say anything to Deaton, knowing all that would come out was a feral hissing noise.

Scott frowned at him. "What's going on?" he asked.

No one answered.

Derek crossed his arms, relaxing against one of the benches, but his eyes were fixed on Stiles. Assessing, waiting.

Stiles was trying not to drop his glamour and hurt the druid sitting across from him. He didn't want to start a fight, that wasn't what he was there for. He'd talked about this with Derek, what his reaction may be towards Deaton, and Derek had made it clear he would stop him from doing anything he'd regret. Stiles was thinking they should have made a list because there was a lot he was willing to do to Deaton that he wouldn't regret too much afterwards.

Deaton was watching him, a tick in the pulse in his neck giving away his nerves. Stiles tried to remember Deaton was the man who'd helped Scott numerous times. He also tended injured and sick animals on a daily basis. He was not just a druid who cut down Stiles' Tree and helped destroy the natural balance of an entire magical eco-system.

Stiles had to close his eyes, knowing they were starting to glow but unable to stop the change. When he opened them, magic floated around Deaton in a webbed pattern. He'd put up a barrier before they'd gotten there.

"Stiles, what's wrong?" Scott asked.

Stiles managed to get his eyes to change back but he didn't speak.

Scott sighed in exasperation. "Would someone tell me why you three look like someone died?" He paled. "Oh, God. No one died, did they?"

Derek eyed Deaton. "Not recently," he said quietly.

Stiles had to hide a smile. Derek was hot when he was being intimidating. He'd provoked Derek for that very reason more than once in the past.

Deaton spared a glance for Derek and then went back to watching Stiles like he was the one to be wary of. Considering he'd branded Stiles when they last met, it was a wise move.

Finally, Stiles could speak without screaming. "How do you know Gavin Brine?"

Deaton frowned slightly. "Gavin Brine? He's an acquaintance of mine, has been for many years." He seemed genuinely confused as to why Stiles would be asking about him.