Day 2: Realization

!! ART BY DANG.MEMERONPA ON INSTAGRAM !!

A/N: Happy Day 2 of Togafuka week! This oneshot takes place in an AU where after Towa city the Despair has ended and life is normal for everyone, enjoy!!

(Also a small note, although this is after UDG Toko still wears her hair in braids in this fic cause why not >:3)

Byakuya's POV-

     The course of life is a peculiar thing. One moment you feel one particular way and the next you are the complete opposite.

     When I met Toko Fukawa years and years ago I felt disgusted and downright revolted by her very presence. The girl sickened me in every way imaginable.

     When I spent more time with Toko Fukawa working in the Future Foundation before her departure to Towa City my feelings of disgust quickly turned to curiosity, this girl was so different than anyone I had ever laid eyes upon.

     When I retrieved Toko Fukawa from Towa City I was stunned of how different she had become. Her face was brighter, her hair was clean, she looked so...happy. Komaru had tackled her brother in a hug the second the two reunited and I could tell Toko wanted to do the same. But she just reached her arm out, quickly pulled it back to her chest and smiled at me sadly. In some alternate timeline I would've hugged her so tightly.

     Almost a year has passed since then and I could feel a certain air and lightness in my heart and chest. I had developed feelings for the author who I used to hate so much.

     Believe me, it was a slow process. First came getting to know the real her and realizing I was an asshole, and next came the knowledge that she was beautiful, kind, and incredibly smart. My feelings grew and grew for almost a year.

     I was able to deal with them and hide them for a long time.

     That is...until today.

     The day I knew I didn't want to hold in my emotions anymore, I wanted to tell her.

     The only issue is...how do I do it? And will she still feel the same?

     After much consideration I decided to just go to her apartment and tell her in person, much better than over call or text.

     I got dressed, bought a single rose from a flower stand nearby and I was on my way.

     Right before I reached the apartment complex I felt someone bump into my shoulder. The person shouted a quick "sorry!" without even stopping to look back, they just kept running. I didn't think much of it until I saw a pair of purple braids blowing in the wind as the person ran down the sidewalk.

    Oh shit...guess I have to follow her now.

     I ran after Toko screaming her name but to no avail. The street was too loud for my voice to be heard. I chased her almost two blocks before she got on a bus up ahead. I sprinted to it, but it closed it's doors and sped off the opposite direction.

     I rubbed my temples in frustration and sat down to wait for the next bus.

     I checked my phone and saw that Toko's bus was heading into the main part of the city. The next bus there should be coming in less than five minutes.

    The only problem is...where was she getting off?

    I studied the locations of drop off and the time of day and realized there was a counseling firm nearby one of the stops. I remember now! She once mentioned she went to therapy on Wednesday mornings. I'm sure she was merely late to her appointment and was rushing to get there. I can just wait outside the building for her!

     I hopped on the next bus and took it to the firm, sitting on a bench nearby the entrance.

     God it must be creepy that i'm doing this...maybe i'll play it off as an accident or something.

    I waited for a while in a comfortable silence, I was so proud of Toko for getting proper help for her anxiety, DID, and depressive episodes. Last time we had lunch together she told me all about the different specialists she worked with. It made me so happy to see her so full of joy for once. Toko had come so incredibly far.

     After another hour I began to lose hope until I caught sight of a purple haired girl zipping past me. I whipped my head around to see the same pair of braids swinging in the wind as Toko raced through the city. Dammit, not again!!

     I took off after the author once again until she rounded a corner and went inside a sushi restaurant. I followed her in and noticed her sitting at a nearby table chatting with Komaru Naegi, of course.

     The two had become remarkably close after living together for a year and often hung out in their free time.

     Not wanting to interrupt anything I just exited the restaurant and sat on the curb.

     This day was already a disaster! She was much busier than I had anticipated.

     Should I just give up and try again tomorrow...?

     I can't do that! I've come all this way, I'm going to confess to her no matter what.

     After half an hour of so of me slumped down on the curb I saw Toko and Komaru walk out of the restaurant together in a lively conversation.

     If Komaru wasn't there I'd go and tell her right this minute but alas, not everything can be perfect.

     I walked behind the girls for a while before they parted ways and Toko took off across the street at full speed.

     I groaned and bolted after her once again.

    We ran for a while before my legs started to give out. Luckily for me she stopped at a rose garden that was on the heart of the city and sat on a bench.

     It's time!

     I gasped for breath from running and slowly made my way over to the writer.

     "Hey Toko." I said simply, she looked up at me in confusion but immediately grinned.

     "Byakuya! Hello! Come sit down!" She exclaimed, patting the spot beside her. I hoisted my exhausted body onto the concrete bench and heaved a sigh.

     "What are you doing out here? You're not exactly a city person." She chuckled.

     "I was uhhh hmm. Oh it's not worth lying about, I was following you." I hung my head.

     A look of shock mixed with amusement crossed her face.

     "Why in the world were you following me silly?! And for how long!" She asked, barely being able to contain her laugher.

     "Since you left your apartment this morning, you bumped into me. I needed to tell you something really important and it just couldn't wait any longer."

     "Wow! That's commitment! No wonder you look all tired, must've raced after me all morning." She gave me a sympathetic look before touching her hand to my cheek affectionately.

     I leaned into her palm and smiled.

     "So what was this mega important thing you needed to tell me?" She raised an eyebrow.

     I took a deep breath.

     "Toko I was so horrible to you all those years ago...I used and betrayed you and I will never forgive myself for that. Working with you and becoming your friend after all that we've been through has been the most amazing experience in my lifetime. You've opened my eyes to new possibilities. I truly realized what I wanted most...I wanted you Toko. I fell in love with you. And I was wondering, if you wanted to be my girlfriend?" I held out the rose to her, my eyes shut tightly in embarrassment.

     "Byakuya I- this is so sweet. You came all this way just to tell me that?" I opened my eyes to see her smiling from ear to ear.

     "Of course...and I'd do it all again!"

     She giggled.

     "I feel the exact same way, I'd be honored to be your girlfriend."