Music Prompt

"On summer nights, the stars fall a little slower and I don't know if I could catch them in time to sow delicately into the palms tell me 'What am I worth?'"

I trudged past faceless people, earphones on, Cavetown blasting. I wondered if he forgot about Saturday night. I wished he would.

He'd been ignoring me for the last four days. I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe something, anything. It'd probably been my fault.

"Do you see words written in the air, or is it just me forming pictures from nowhere? I have funny little comic books tapped to my hands and a brain within a brain, its got a mind of its own, yeah."

The acoustic break made me smile a bit. Then, from the corner of my eye, my heart sank. It was him, with a girl on his arm.

As the chorus caused everything to slow, I got a better look. He was smiling, happy, laughing. I guess it would make me an idiot. I knew better by now. Why was I so dumb? My heart, like a pebble, just swaying to the beat, to the soles of my boots. Mum was right, he wasn't the one for me.

I continued to stare from the open window. The final bridge of the song took ahold of me.

~"Rocket ships will take off, whether you're in them or not. It's sad but it's the truth. The world will still turn without you."~

I ran to the bathroom, the room I most imposed. But I was ... I wasn't myself.

The song ran on repeat.