Heart to Heart

"Mikey!"

Leo shouted as he watched his little brother's eyes roll up to the ceiling, swaying on his feet and moaning in pain. His nunchucks slipped from his hands as he slumped to the ground. They hit the ground softly, but Mikey followed with a loud thump. Leonardo watched in horror.

Three more darts were shot, and Leo snapped out of his daze just in time to dodge them. He sheathed the one sword he had remaining and threw three stars at the droids, taking two Kraang out easily. He ran over to Mikey, threw him over his shoulders unceremoniously and grabbed both of his chucks in one hand. Though there was nothing more that he wanted to do than stay and fight, to take out the remaining bots and make them pay for what they did to Michelangelo, he knew it wasn't safe to do so right now. Leo and Mikey had finished their part of the mission and knew where the other Leo and Donnie (or at least one of them) were; now, all that was important was getting Mikey out safely and making sure the other teams were doing alright.

So Leo ran.

He scaled the stairs one by one, panting and trying to keep Mikey steady. He ignored the burning in his lungs and legs and pushed on. Donnie was up there, and Donnie could help Mikey. Though Leo was fairly certain whatever drug the Kraang had hit Mikey with wouldn't be fatal, he wasn't about to take any chances, and would have Donnie check him over as soon as he got up there. He just had to keep going.

For the most part, there were very few Kraang who came after them as the turtle climbed the staircase. Leo counted his luck on this and knew it was probably because of the still ringing alarms; if he had to guess, all of the droids were focusing on the controlled Raphael, and perhaps his Raph and Little Mikey. He worried for them, but at least it was providing a half decent distraction for him to get Mikey out of this awful situation. With any luck, the distraction would hold long enough for him to get to Donnie and his team, so he could bring Mikey there without anymore issues. That was all he needed.

But of course, he could never be that fortunate.

Another door slammed open and Leo winced, spinning around immediately. Six droids stood with their tranquillizers again. Leo didn't know whether to be horrified or thankful there wasn't a single blaster in this group's hands. Why weren't they trying to kill them like normal? He wanted to know, needed to know, but there was nowhere to find answers yet. He scowled.

"You really wanna do this now?!" Leo demanded, though he was mostly talking to himself. He knew the Kraang didn't care, and there was no point in trying to get them to see reason. Besides, from their point of view, this was the perfect opportunity to take down both of them. Mikey was unconscious, and Leo was trying to balance protecting him and fighting them... and the rest of his team was out of the picture. Leo almost couldn't blame them.

He took a moment to set Mikey down on the stairs, dropping his nunchucks besides him, and then turned his gaze back to the Kraang.

The Kraang stared back, and leveled their weapons. One spoke.

"The two turtles known as 'Leonardo' and 'Michelangelo' are ordered by Kraang to come with Kraang." The bot turned its eyes to the fallen turtle behind Leo, monotone voice laced with so many barely disguised threats. "Come with Kraang, or face consequences which are 'unpleasant'. Hand over the smaller mutant, and then surrender yourself to Kraang."

Leo shifted, blocking the aliens' view of his little brother with his own body, and pulled out his sword. He held it firmly, and leveled his gaze. With a steady tone, he spoke words filled with confidence and determination that could shake entire worlds to their cores.

"You are not touching him."

The Kraang fired, and Leonardo attacked.

***