Untitled Reverse Harem Preview

Chapter One

Birds flew overhead, pulling my attention from my current task. Grunting, I shifted the large box of books in my arms. I always envied them, the birds. Their wings could take them any, and everywhere they want; the freedom they experienced daily was something I craved. I glanced behind me towards where my brother Wyatt was helping unload boxes from the delivery truck. His chocolate skin glistened with sweat as he hefted a box over to one of the helpers. Wyatt met my gaze, and he winked as he went back to help. Rolling my eyes, I push through the back doors of my father's bookshop.

"Over there, sweetheart. Thanks so much for helping out. I know you had plans to go out today, but with Eric and Sarah calling off, I needed all of the help that I could get." My father gave me a grateful smile. My lips pulled into a thin line. Sarah and Eric called off more often than they worked, yet my father refuses to see that they're taking advantage of him.

"Sure..." I mumbled. His shoulders fell in defeat. He knew all too well how I felt about having to cancel my plans, regardless if it was just me going out alone. My father sighed, his hand going up to smooth his salt and peppered beard.

"This is a family business, Roxanne. We will need your help from time to time." My father's voice was stern. I set the box down and turned to him. 

"No, dad, this is your business. Wyatt and I are just forced to help. What are you going to do when I start school tomorrow? Eric and Sarah can't keep calling out at the last minute like this. It isn't fair to you." More words threatened to tumble from my lips, I bit my tongue to prevent ranting any further.

"Tell you what, unload one more box, then you're free to go. How does that sound?" My father offered, seemingly dismissing my complaints of his workers. I agreed, knowing completely well that he would not be discussing the subject any further, and set the box off into a corner before rushing outside to grab another.

Once finished, I grabbed my car keys and made a beeline towards my Jeep patriot sitting in the employee parking lot behind my father's building. Slipping inside, I start it up and pull out onto the main road.

Flicking on my radio, I tune into my custom lofi radio and let the music drift lazily through the speakers. I drove for a while, simply enjoying the cool weather and clear skies. Pulling up to my favorite park, I find a spot and park. Slipping off my seat belt, I grab my phone, earbuds, and book. I shut and lock the doors to my Jeep and start a slow stroll towards my favorite spot. Covered by trees and bushes, the light shone through the trees giving the area a serene feel. Flowers and vines curled around the trees, the grass a bright green, and a small pond filled with lilies. It was my favorite spot for a reason. Not many people knew of it and its beauty. I had discovered it one day when my father and brother had made me unbelievably angry over having to work when I had taken off for my birthday. It was childish at the time, but it was also another Eric and Sarah situation.

I hear faint humming as I break through the bushes. A tall man stood in front of an easel. His shaggy black hair was pulled into a small ponytail exposing the smooth olive skin on his neck. He wore black cargo shorts and converse; both being covered in various splotches of paint. His arms were covered by a black long sleeved shirt, his hands adorned with various rings. I glanced at his feet where there were tubes of paint and sketches scattered around him. I've never seen him before...