Thunders Fate: Book One Preview

Chapter One 

Genesis

Tree branches crunched under my feet as I ran through the night. I dodged past trees and branches trying not to stumble and fall, because I knew that if I fell it would be the end of me. A deep howl rumbled through the forest shaking me to my core and igniting the adrenaline that was already pumping through my veins. Heavy thumps came from behind me signaling for me to push my legs harder.

"Shoot," I cursed under my breath as I grabbed onto a nearby branch and swung myself up into the tree. I steadied myself and stuck my hand into my bag pulling out my scent masking potion and spraying the mixture all over me. I slowed my breathing and heart rate at will, and watched in silence as the large wolf went flashing by the tree. I leaned back on the branch letting my eyes drift close. Steadying my breathing I braced myself for my next move.

Angry growls erupted around me. "I know you're up there, perra." The rogue's twisted voice grunted out. Silence fell upon us, the only sound was the autumn wind blowing the dry leaves of the trees surrounding us. "Tell me," he started. "Who has sent you? Perra like you rarely roam these forests unless there is a problem." The sounds of bones cracking filled the silence as he changed into his human form. I looked down from my hiding spot keeping a close eye on his every move. He was tall with long matted black hair that had twigs, leaves, and dirt throughout it. Dried blood coated his naked form, his eyes were a blood red, the true sign of any rouge out of control. He had scars littered across his face, his hardened features standing out, but his calm set face sent shivers down my spine. A calm rouge was a crazed rogue, they are unpredictable and should be watched closely.

"The S.I.A has warned you multiple times, Rogue," I bit out. "Humans are off limits. You've broken this rule countless times and I have been sent to put you in your place." I let the authority take over in my voice as I let my wings rip free from my back. My skin burned as my wings released themselves, that familiar burning sensation tearing through my back, fading as quickly as it came. The pain dulled as my skin healed itself from the sudden addition of appendages. I gently descended from the tree landing in front of him, his face twisting into a sinister grin. Years ago, the Supernatural Investigations Association was created in order to control the growing number of mythological beings. Werewolves, vampires, pixies, dragons, you name it we controlled it. S.I.A is under private government so not many know that we even exist, which makes my job easier. Elite groups of people with extraordinary abilities, like myself, are chosen to be a part of their field agents that work for S.I.A and control the supernatural and keep them out of the public eye.

Without us havoc would spread across the world, discrimination between species would arise, and a new world war between the supernatural and the mortals would break loose. S.I.A works hard to keep balance in the world and to keep each species safe. The corrupt ones are the ones we look for and detain.

"Do you honestly think I care about what they say? I was exiled from my pack and left on my own to fend for myself. What do I have left to lose?" He chuckled darkly as he stared me down, his eyes tracing the outline of my wings. "I stopped caring about getting caught years ago! Humans deserve to die, they've killed the forest and are forcing us into hiding! They killed my MATE!" He bellowed, his voice cracking in anger. His eyes held sadness and hurt, I could only imagine what type of wolf he was before he lost his mate. Werewolves often went crazy or killed themselves after losing their mate, but it was much harder due to their healing abilities. The only known way to kill off a wolf was wolfsbane being injected in large doses, or silver through their heart. At the very least he appeared suicidal, but I'd never know. What I do know is that he has to be stopped before anyone else is hurt.

Mates are a shifter's soulmate, their other half. Losing a mate is equivalent to losing a piece of yourself. I've heard of cases where packs have banished wolves to become rouges after losing their mates, I have not heard as much regarding other shifters. Rouges cause chaos among their pack and surrounding areas, some even going as far as to try to steal another males mate in order to fill the void their mate left. Typically, Alphas make the decision to exile wolves who overstep their boundaries, since peace cannot be kept with an insane wolf running around causing problems. When wolves get exiled they rarely ever live for more than a month they either die from trespassing in a pack's territory, or reach insanity.