DEMONS

╒══════════════════╕DEMONS╘══════════════════╛

DEMONS
╘══════════════════╛

October 31, 2005

There was a thick fog descending upon the run down motel as Jamie Newell pulled into the parking spot that had managed to remain empty since she left that morning. The moon was a blurry speck in the sky, providing just enough illumination for the girl as she opened up her car door and forced herself on to her aching feet.

A sharp pain in her side made the girl wince, but she was quick to push it aside, knowing that the cause was the growing bruise upon her rib cage and that the pain would only increase with the steps that led up to her room.

The walk to her room was agonizingly long and the thought of her bed was the only thing keeping her going as she trudged along. Eventually she made it to the bright red door leading to the room she had checked in at the night before and she let out a heavy sigh before using the rusting key she had received upon arrival.

The instant she was in the door was when she finally allowed her shoulders to relax, the weight that seemed to grow heavier every time she had to step back out into the real world finally being lifted for the day.

Jamie had no care in the world as she stripped herself of her clothes on the way to the shower, the warm water relaxing her muscles and washing away the grim and dirt of the day's activities until she felt a little more like herself again.

She let the water run over her until it turned cold before reluctantly stepping out and pulling on the only pair of clothes she had for when she needed nothing else but comfort — a pair of old sweatpants her brother had grown out of and a t-shirt she had gotten on a few trips prior to replace the one before that had seen its last days.

The Newell girl could hear her bed practically screaming at her to go to sleep, but with the way things had ended today she knew it wasn't time. After all, once a job was over, she knew that meant getting out as quick as possible. If she were being completely honest with herself, she probably shouldn't even be staying the night, but she wanted to treat herself to a decent night of rest and she knew she wouldn't get that in the back seat of the tiny Volkswagen.

From the refrigerator, she pulled out a beer she had managed to snag from a gas station the night before and then her map from the nightstand before plopping down at the table in the room and glancing at the map. Post-it notes of all colors and sizes were plastered along the map, a small red one placed in Louisville, Kentucky standing out from them all.

To anyone else, the map would've looked like a jumbled mess, but to Jamie it was her itinerary — a to-do list of sorts. Most of them marked places in which she needed to go, jobs she had found whilst traveling and possible locations for her to swing by. Others marked places she had already been and places she needed to keep an eye on.