9|| THE WARNING

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
This Midnight hour ain't fun at all.

     My scream could have awoken the dead from their graves, forget the entire society of Lark Ville

     My scream could have awoken the dead from their graves, forget the entire society of Lark Ville. Even the tablet couldn't keep up with it, ultimately quitting it's One-Direction concert.

   In the distance, I could hear our security's faint whistle harmonize with my banshee vocals.

   Sensing the possible outcome, a large, cold, gloved hand swept down on my mouth rudely, muffling the sound.

"For the sake of everyone's beauty sleep, SHUT UP!"

    His angry bellow shushed me into silence instantly, with tears beginning to prod the corner of my eyes instead.

   Slowly, The Midnight Man removed his hand, allowing them to fall firmly by his side. He had stopped hovering overhead and settled on the ground beside my bed.

   Sitting up, I gulped at the sight before me.

  The chair behind him was torn apart from the table, where it had been safely tucked in, before going to bed. Although, my tab had stopped playing songs, it was still alight, draping the room with an eerie glow.

        Midnighty crossed his arms and glared at me, standing like a tall gargoyle with a beastly demeanor. His brilliant red eyes had also dwindled to the black nothingness beneath his raven hood.

My cold arms couldn't stop trembling under the twisted blanket, sprawled across the bed in a tousled mess.

    He tilted his head. "I'm glad I could scare the bejeezus out of you, but I'm here for something important. So listen up —"

    Before he could continue, a frantic knock on my apartment door startled us.

"Rose honey, are you okay in there?!" My neighbour, Mrs. Gallagher's apprehensive voice floated in, followed by a hushed chatter behind her, indicating the presence of more people.

  He rolled his eyes. "You never learn to keep quiet, do you?"

   My fingers finally stopped shivering.

" You should've thought better than to freak me out at--, " I gave a quick glance at the clock on the wall before scowling at him, "--2 in the morning!"

    "That's what I'm famous for, darling." Midnighty breathed out in mock-disappointment. " Too bad I forgot the Tarantulas."

  My fear, beginning to bubble up with bursts of anger, made me swallow hard. Before I could retort, a second knock, assisted by my neighbor's soothing voice bolted me to the scenario at hand.

   Taking a deep breath, I put my cover aside, grateful for Midnighty's obliging side-step to allow me get to the door. It was unlikely of him to be so polite. Why wasn't he trying to scare me now?