Chapter 2: Where the Wild Woffs Go

The explanation went down better than expected. Hilda told her mother most of what she knew, centred around her encounter with Aevana, the Ulfhednar, and their beliefs about the magic feather. The details of her own transformation, however, she kept to herself. With the feather safely hidden under her pillow, Hilda turned her attention to her homework.

Over the following week, however, she found herself struggling to concentrate more than usual. Despite her best efforts, she often found herself zoning out. She supposed it was her nature as an adventurer. Why learn about geography with slides and textbooks when she could be out there in the wilderness, exploring it directly?

The temptation to slip out with her feather was tantalizing, but deep down, she knew it was impossible to outrun her problems forever. If there was one thing she'd learned since moving to Trolberg, it was that sometimes, magical solutions to mundane issues only made things worse. So, as boring as it was, she did her best to soldier on.

The days ticked by, and the urge to use the feather grew stronger and stronger, picking at the back of her mind. Whenever she found herself shuffling in her seat, she took the simpler tasks to her room and bathed herself in the feather's soft light; the gentle pulsing of its aura helping to erase her pent-up stresses.

When Saturday rolled around, she could wait no longer. Waking up bright and early, she hurriedly threw on her regular combo of red sweater, grey skirt, and black leggings. Then, feather in hand, she grabbed a light breakfast before saying goodbye to Johanna and Twig.

Maybe I should try something ground-based next week? she pondered, skipping down the stairs. That way, Twig can come with me.

As she retraced her steps, her thoughts turned to where she could hide her clothes. If she left them out in the open, there was a chance they could get blown away, or worse, stolen. Then again, nowhere in the wilderness was completely secure, so it was more about minimizing the risks. One thing was for certain, she wasn't going to repeat last week's mistakes.

In no time at all, she reached the spot where she'd met Aevana the previous week. Well, here I am, she thought. Guess I should get started.

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out the feather and did...

Nothing. She just stood there, hands by her side.

Did I just hear rustling in the bushes? Maybe I should check around one more time. She glanced around for a moment before shaking her head. No, this is silly. No one else is here, so what am I waiting for?

That question lingered in her mind. What was she waiting for? She knew how the feather worked, for the most part. Was the magic replenished properly? For all she knew, the feather's recharge time could be anything from a few hours to a few days, if it would work again at all. Its glow didn't seem diminished, at least. All she had to do was—

"Ah," Hilda said out loud. Now that she thought about it, the reason for her hesitation was obvious. The last time she'd transformed, it was on impulse, partly to prove Aevana's assertion wrong.

But the Ulfhednar girl wasn't wrong. She couldn't transform with clothes on, or at least, not if she wanted them wearable when she returned to human form. There was no getting around it. She knew she was alone, but it did little to diminish the butterflies in her stomach.

Like most children, Hilda had been hardwired to never show her body in public, save for select situations like changing rooms. It would be far too embarrassing. Logically, she knew it shouldn't matter. She wasn't exactly streaking through the city streets, quite the opposite. She was as far from people as anyone would care to be! Besides Alfur and Tontu, who else could possibly follow her all the way out here?