𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

"Come here you motherfucker!"

"Callie! I remember telling you not to swear in front of the kids," Silena scolded her.

She grabbed the little orange fingered rascal running away from her and began wiping the cheeto dust off of his fingers. "And I remember telling you that if these children are being raised to become monster food and have a life expectancy of about 17 years," she looked up at the Aphrodite counselor. "Them dropping f bombs should be the least of our worries."

"She has a point," Drew agreed from the picnic table with her sister.

"Aww, thanks." Callie turned back to the little boy. "I better not see one more orange fingerprint in our cabin or else I'm going to eat all of your bags of cheetos. Run along now, Alex." She waved her thoroughly mortified half brother on his way.

"You should be more understanding with your siblings, Callie." Silena suggested. "It's great for bonding."

"Sure, if bonding means having your jewelry box become a cabin accessible treasure chest," huffed Drew. "I still don't know who took my earrings."

Callie intentionally ignored Drew's comment. "Your advice only works because the Aphrodite cabin doesn't have a lifetime supply of stink bombs or a dozen undecided children sleeping on the floor."

"And thankfully so, I couldn't imagine having to clean a cabin inhabited by those demons," shuddered Drew.

Silena looked amused, "You don't even clean as it is."

"All the more reason for me to be thankful."

Callie laughed, "You should be even more thankful when you find out I actually took your earrings for safe keeping."

Drew was unamused. "Sure, safekeeping," she rolled her eyes. "Don't act like you weren't salivating at the sight of my jewelry box the last time you came over."

"Salivating?" Callie questioned. "Your vocabulary is getting more illustrative by the day."

"Maybe it's because you threw a thesaurus in my head the other day. Some of the words must have fallen into my brain."

"It was the closest thing I could find!"

"Why did you need to throw something at me in the first place?"

"Why did I need to throw something at you?" she glanced around with a stunned look on her face. "You called me the most horrid nickname," she whispered.

Drew teased, "Oh, you mean Calisterine?"

"Yes," she said. "That is why I have come up with the most wonderful nickname for you, ScoobyDrew."

A moment of stunned silence.

"ScoobyDrew?!" she screamed in outrage. "That doesn't even make sense!"

"Makes more sense than Calisterine!"

"I am not a mystery solving dog!"

"And I'm not a brand of mouthwash!"

"And I'm not going to be here for the rest of this concerning conversation," Silena interrupted. "I'll be taking a shower while you two sort your," she looked at the two, "problems."

She was already walking to her cabin when Drew called out to her, "Silena, make sure to save some hot water for the rest of us!"

"Sure thing, ScoobyDrew!" she replied, not even turning around.

She only rolled her eyes in annoyance. "I swear one day, I'm going to kill her."

"Please, you'd kill yourself before you'd harm a hair on Silena's head." Despite Drew's constant insults and generally offensive personality, she was surprisingly virtuous. Her troubled past ensured her to have trust issues, but she would die fighting for the people she did trust. Not like she'd ever admit it, though.

"I suppose she could live for a moment longer," she admitted. "Off topic, but what do you want for your birthday?"

Callie looked up amused, "Why? My best friend doesn't know me well enough to get me a decent birthday gift?"

She lightly punched her in the arm, "People ask out of courtesy, idiot. When someone asks you what you want for your birthday, most of the time they've already gotten you something."

"When I ask someone what they want for their birthday, it means I want to know what they want for their birthday."

"You've never asked anyone that question," she accused. "You don't know anyone's birthday."

"I know yours, Luke's, and Alex's."

"I'm your best friend. Luke is your brother, and you only just found out Alex's birthday because it was yesterday."

Callie countered back, "I'm stuck with you, Luke is only biologically my brother, and Alex's birthday was actually the day before yesterday. So ha." It's true, well all of it is true, But regarding the second statement, if she didn't know they shared the same parents, Callie would think Luke was just a random stranger.

After Luke ran away from home when she was seven, he had no intention to ever associate with his sister. So, after she came to Camp Halfblood 3 years later, Callie was hoping they would pick up where they left off, he would treat her like a little sister, and they'd go back to being a somewhat happy family. She was wrong. When she arrived at camp, Luke had already replaced her with the seven year old girl he saw on the streets. Callie could still remember the look on Luke's face when he first saw her. The pain she felt then was like no other. But years later, she just grew up and moved on. Callie would never be his little sister and Luke would never be her older brother, not anymore. That's just the way it was. And she was fine with it.

"Anyways, that's besides the point," huffed her best friend. "Seriously, though, what do you want for your birthday?"

"Does you asking that question mean you already got me a present?"

"No."

"But I thought-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know what I said," Drew stated. "But we're pretty much cut off from society. I don't have many options."

"You could buy me something," Callie smiled.

"Oh sure, I can ask someone to deliver it here. And when they ask for the address, I can just say to drop it off at a magical summer camp that's run by a pony man and a middle aged leopard print wearing diet coke enthusiast," she exclaimed sarcastically. "So your choices for a birthday present are limited to a hastily made birdhouse from arts and crafts or a really pretty rock."

"The second option."

"Okay, pretty rock it is," Drew leaned her head on Callie's shoulder.

They just sat there staring out into the hills until the daughter of Hermes broke the silence.

"You're my best friend," she stated. "You know that right?"

The Asian girl let out a small smile, "I know."

"Even if you come up with the stupidest nicknames."

"Shut up."

"Will do ScoobyDrew."

"Please die."

♡♡♡♡♡

That night Callie slept peacefully ready for just any normal day at Camp Halfblood. Little did she know that she just spent her last day of somewhat normalcy.