Chapter 3

One body.

One sword.

One trail of blood.

One outsider looking in.

As soon as Callie got there, she frantically scanned the area for the head of blonde hair. Attempting to break through a dense crowd that had already formed, her eyes caught a glance of a body on the ground.

Callie's heart stopped. Has Luke really died? Did Percy Jackson kill him?

Skin, a disgusting shade of green, turning gray, as if it was being depleted of all life. Boils disrupting the surface of his flesh. Bones, unnatural in its placement, as if this person just didn't even have enough energy to collapse properly.

Was this thing, this corpse, really Callie's brother?
It wasn't until she reached the center of the crowd did she really get to view the body in all of its wretched state.

The hair that she had mistaken for wheat colored yellow, was as dark as it was wild. The body, too short and too skinny for it to be her brother.

Percy Jackson laid there as still as he did the day he was brought to camp.

Callie's mind almost went numb in relief for the possibility that her brother was not injured. The beating of her heart returned to a normal pace. Her body relaxed as she let go of the breath she didn't know she was holding.

It was as if everything was encased in a glass bubble. Annabeth Chase laid beside her companion as she barked orders to call for medics from the Apollo cabin. Campers swarmed around the fallen pair, like there was an invisible barrier forcing the crowd to maintain a safe 6 feet of distance from them.

Paralyzed by the scene, Callie's mind scrambled for a rational explanation. Where is Luke? Did the monster that did this to Percy take Luke away too? No, wait. How did a monster break through the barrier? Did someone summon it? Was it actually a monster? Did a person do this? Is there a traitor amongst them?

As if instinctively, Callie rushed to Percy's awfully still body, clinging onto his green hand.

"Where is Luke?!"  she yelled. "What happened to my brother?!"

She felt arms wrap around her. A lithe and small body trying to drag her away. She only pounded on the boy's chest harder. "Answer me! Percy, where is my brother!"

Her patience was really starting to wear thin, breathes and cries becoming hysterical as the world became silent around her. The previously muffled yells around her gradually dissipated.

The arms around her began to constrict, attempting to separate her from Percy Jackson's corpse. She snapped her head back, ready to fling off whoever dared to stop her, only to become limp at the sight of her little brother with tears in his eyes.

Alex looked at her with fear, "Callie, you're scaring us. Please, stop."

His brown eyes were glossy, reflecting the toll this experience had taken on him. Dark arms trembling around his older sister's body. Two front bunny teeth chewing on his lower lip, attempting to hold back tears.

Behind him, the little kids of the Hermes cabin clung together, either hiding behind the older counselors or trying to break through the crowd in order to reach their siblings.

Automatically, Callie's body lost all tension, melting into a tearful hug with her baby brother. "I'm sorry." Her breaths began to steady; her mind coming down from the rush of adrenaline. Time stilled as she embraced her brother, all of the cabin 11 babies making their way through the crowd, joining in on the hug.

I'm so lucky to have my family.

As if she was doused with ice cold water, Callie was abruptly pulled from her siblings. Her body was heaved onto the ground, light brown hair rubbing into the damp soil. Above her, Annabeth Chase was red in the face.

"What is your problem?!" the daughter of Athena huffed with every word.

Callie could not find a word to say. To her right, Percy's body was gone, taken away in the midst of her breakdown. Campers surrounded them, lingering to see the fight about to ensue.

Again, she looked up, observing the dried tear tracks running down Annabeth's cheeks, usual honey blonde hair dark and dingy presumably from being unwashed. Her ominous gray judging and unkindness as they peered into Callie's soul, searching for something that wasn't there.

It was during times like this, when Callie was able to get a closer look at Annabeth, she saw her resemblance to Luke. Similar blonde hair and gray eyes that could easily be mistaken for the blue of Lukes, it made sense to assume that Annabeth was his little sister.

"Did you hear me? What is your problem?!" Annabeth straddled her, pinning Callie down.

Again, her mouth remained shut.

Just when Callie thought Annabeth was really going to kill her, fist slung back to make a hit at her nose, a mass of dark hair and dangly earring tackled the blonde girl onto the ground.