Ch2: "THE ANTICIPATED OPPORTUNITY"

In Jaisalmer, in a 2 BHK flat a tall woman was praying to Lord Krishna's idol kept on a shelf in the northeastern corner of the house. She was joining her hands and reciting a mantra¹. She had long jet black hairs and had an athletic body. Her face looked serene and peaceful. A beautiful smile adorning her face. She then picked up the veneration plate and rotated it in front of Krishna and then moved in front of a garland clad picture of a man in military uniform. She got teary but then took a deep breath and smiled.

"No tears, just smiles. As promised."

"Of course! After all it was Baba sa's² principle! Just because you are born crying, doesn't mean you live crying and die crying! Therefore, smile and make others smile as well!"

The woman turned and looked at the tall boy in his mid twenties wearing a lab coat and hanging his bag. The woman smiled at him and fed him the oblation.

"Get ready fast Maa sa³. I don't want to be late on my first day!"

"Don't worry Saket they wouldn't stop a Doctor's car. And moreover you have been in that college for six years now! Even the birds know you there!"

Saket laughed at his mother and hugged her. His mother Dr. Kanika Somani was a general physician at the Jaisalmer hospital. She was the widow of a military doctor Ratan Somani, who was martyred two years ago at the border. Somanis were lucky enough to reach him in his last time as he stated his last wish- 'not to be stuck forever with his memories and stop living. He lived his whole life with a smile and intends to die with one. So they should grant him his last wish and dare not shed more tears than necessary! They are following his words ever since.

Saket Somani was the eldest son of Ratan and Kanika. He had completed M.Pharma from the medical college in which hospital his mother was working as a doctor. He was now to pursue his Ph.D from there. He looked like his father. They hear a loud voice!

"Aaaaaaaaa! Maa saaaaaaa!!"

Kanika and Saket rushed inside the room from where the voice was coming and saw a teenager boy drenched on his bed.  He had facial features of Kanika and height inherited from his father! But was kind of chubby!

"Urvish! What tsunami drenched you in this desert?"

Kanika questioned stuffing her laughter. Even though she knew who was responsible!

"Jiji⁴! She is the actual devil incarnate!"

"Hey fatty! Why are you lying? I don't see Chikki anywhere in the room!"

Kanika smacked Saket on his arm for calling Urvish fatty.

"Bhai sa¹'! You always take Chikki jiji's side! Today you have to do justice! You are the elder one you should be the neutral one in the house!"

"Really? And what about Maa sa who always pamper's you and feeds you making a human buffalo for herself!"

The voice came from under Saket's bed. Kanika bent down and pulled out a girl holding her ears!

"Ouch Maa sa! It pains!"

"Chikki... Why did you threw water on Urvish. He was sleeping right?"

"From the time he has given his board exams, he either eats or sleeps! Soon he will be promoted from buffalo to hippo! Hippo Somani!"

Chikki flipped her long golden brown hairs. Chikki a.k.a Naisha Somani. She was the second child of Ratan and Kanika. Five years elder to Urvish and three years younger to Saket. Naisha was born with a higher than average I.Q. She was a premature baby but didn't need much precautions while adapting to surroundings. She learnt to speak late and hasn't stopped since! Her parents, at first thought she had a problem but then she saw a vendor selling chikki²' and her mouth watered looking at it and thus was the first word she ever uttered- chikki! Her parents found it so amazing that they nicknamed her Chikki! Being intelligent, she studied two years ahead of her age. So, by 16 years of age she had completed her intermediate and by her current age, i.e; 21, she had her masters in mass media and communication. She applied in reputed media houses and was currently waiting for the responses. She had acquired her beauty from her mother and her personality from her father. Intelligence from both and a bit more as a gift! She loved her family, playing pranks and annoying her younger brother because he would whine at every little thing!