2.

Ezra

It's 1 PM and I'm on my flight to the crappy island of Bronte. It wasn't a crappy island, I could tell from the pictures. It's beautiful, the clear water of the sea, the nice looking Villa that belonged to Callaway was better than I thought, I was perfect for a vacation. But I wasn't on vacation. I was a creditor, collecting from my debtor. 

The plane ride was 3 hours and then there was a 30-minute boat ride from the airport to the island. I didn't intend on staying long, one hour at most talking to the guy and another to eat. 

"This way, sir." The worker guided me to the speed boat I rented. 

The boat driver whispered something to the guide and eyed me a wary look. I cocked my eyes up, encouraging him to speak.

"Sir, there seems to be a storm tonight. The ocean, she's pretty feisty and her waves are dangerous. I don't think it would be wise for us to cross to Bronte today."

I scoffed, I was going to waste a day doing nothing. I already pushed back 2 meetings, I can't spend another day in this place again. And besides, the sky was crystal clear and the sun was still shining. 

"I don't see any signs of a storm. I don't have the pleasure of wasting my day away like you people, so start the boat unless you want to lose all your future clients."

The two guys looked at each other worried, but the driver gave in and went to start the boat.

❀♔⋆♥⋆♕❀

Astrid

"Do you think Jayden is coming? I mean I invited him but he's kind of been acting awkward after we linked" My best friend, Rory was throwing her birthday party at one of our suites. We've been friends ever since we were in diapers and now we get Brazilians together. 

There were only about 60 people on this island there were in the same age range. Most went to our local college and some went to study in the mainlands. I'm the latter, I went to study Interior design at Cornell University and have a bachelor's degree. I applied to a big company in New York but before I could even accept it, my grandma got sick so I came back home to help. 

" I can text his friends if you want." Her eyes lit up. I continued, " But, it honestly is his problem if he's going to act like a baby. Just don't pay attention and he'll come running to you, trust me." She smiled and nodded, I was content that she wasn't going to worry about a worthless boy.

I decided on a black two-piece with gold chains, it was plain but cute. I didn't want to wear something that would overshadow Rory's outfit, the spotlight was on her today. I threw on an oversized button-down shirt, for modesty ;). 

The original plan was for the party to be on the beach, but since there were reports of a storm we decided to have a pool party, so our plans didn't have to be canceled. If it did rain, we could just move inside the suite. 

Music was blaring through the speakers, most people were in the pool, dancing and yelling the lyrics of "Narcos" by Migos.  Rory's gone through almost all the cocktails on the menu and probably 5 shots by now. I had to stay sober tonight along with a few of the girls in our group so that we would be able to take care of all the drunk girls. 

I guess Zeus was partying hard up there, too because the sky was now dark and the wind was hitting harder. Soon, the rain started pouring, not that anyone cared since we were all wet anyway. As soon as the lightning started though, the party quieted down and the music was lowered. There have been many accidents on the Island when lightning was involved.

Most people started heading inside, moving the party there, in the safety of the suite.

As I was waiting for my friend Lina, to leave the pool, I notice my Dad and some men running towards the dock.

"Are they going out there?" She noticed them too and she squinted her eyes to see their figures better.

I sprinted out of there and down to the beach as fast as I could. I needed to know what was happening, there was no way they were going in the ocean right?

"DAD!" I shouted as I ran towards him. He was speaking to Mr.Belling who works in the tower, overlooking the arrivals and departures of ships on the dock.

"There's a boat out there, they left around 4:40, but they never radioed over." Usually, when someone was coming to or leaving the Island, they radioed over to the tower, it ensured their safety and made it easier for the people working in the dock.

Mr.Belling continues saying that the operator of the boat called his wife to let her know that he was going home late but she was concerned due to the storm. "She couldn't reach her husband, so she called me and asked if he ever arrived."

All the men looked towards the ocean, all shaking their heads in frustration. My dad spoke up, " I'm going out to look, their boat probably ran out of fuel. There are people out there and I can't walk away knowing that."

Some of the people nodded and walked towards him others stood there, unsure of what to do. It was risky, they could be walking right into the storm and the people on that boat could have already reached shore somewhere.

I cracked my knuckles nervously, I didn't want to make a scene and say I'm not letting you go! My father did everything on this Island, people came to him for help all the time because there was no one else that would.

"Dad, I'm coming with you." I knew his answer even before I asked. "I'll even wear a life-jacket, please." I looked him in the eyes, showing him my sincerity. He shook his head, " Astrid, don't make me worry even more. I can't risk having you on that boat, honey. Go back to the party and have fun. I'll be back before you know it. You know what, prepare a bath for me with those bath bombs of yours."

My hands were shaking, I'm not sure if it was because of the wind and rain or the worry consuming my soul. So I had to give in, I watched my Dad walk onto the ship. And stood there until the ship became smaller and smaller. 

I went back to the party which was now dying down due to news of the missing boat. People on the island considered each other family and it didn't make sense for us to be partying at this time. Some people who lived close left brought friends along with them, some stayed in the suite and lounged around.

I went back home and checked on my Grandma, her nurse Jolene already helped her in bed. I quickly greeted Jolene and she gave me a comforting smile rubbing my back. Not really knowing how I should act, I decided to go to my Dad's room and prepared his bath as he requested.

The image of my Dad retreating in the boat played non-stop in my brain. I wasn't religious in any way, but tonight, I found myself praying and praying. Wishing that my Dad would return safe and sound.

He did return, but the person that returned wasn't my dad, it wasn't Elijah Callaway.