Chapter One - The Box

Shit.

Oh my god I'm late for work.

I practically sprang out of bed and looked at my alarm clock. My heart stopped for a second when it read 7:30 am. I was supposed to be at work at 6:00!

My boss is gonna kill me. DYLAN will be so disappointed. I pulled on my work clothes and bounded into the bathroom. Christ, how could I let this happen? My alarm clock was set, I went to bed early, I even had everything set out so that I specifically wasn't late to work. I'm never late! I'm always the one that's early!

I do the same thing every day. I get up at 5, get ready for work and leave at 5:30, get to work at 5:45. What was different today? What was different last night?

Nothing is the answer. I'm just an idiot, that's why.

I slathered on some quick makeup and pulled my hair into a neat bun to make myself look somewhat presentable. I checked myself over one last time, then barreled into the kitchen looking for something quick to eat. Alas, there was nothing. That's fine, I'll just eat a good lunch.

No, I thought. I won't have time for lunch today. I gotta make up for the two hours I missed.

So, no lunch then. Guess dinner has to do for today.

Worrying about food is taking too much time. I grab my blue messenger bag, my heels and run out of my apartment to my car.

Driving down the busy roads of Manhattan, I went over the checklist in my head to make sure I had everything.

Phone? Check

Plans? Check

Laptop? Check

Wallet? Check

Keys? Check

I had everything I needed, which was surprising to be honest. My stomach roared in frustration, almost as if it was saying that I forgot about it.

I should've eaten before I left.

No. If I ate I would be even later to work. That would be worse than missing a meal or two.

Dylan would laugh at this.

Why did I care what Dylan, Dylan of all people thought? I didn't like him or anything, he's just a work friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

I finally pulled into the parking lot and ran as fast as I could until I got to the entry door. I walked briskly through the foyer of my engineering firm and greeted the receptionist, Kathrene.

"Woah, woah, woah, slow down April," she called after me, "Walk any faster and you'll end up leaving your feet behind!"

Haha, very funny," I dryly chuckled, turning back to her. Kathrene was a sweet lady, and a lot older than I am. She had skin that would make smooth chocolate jealous, and deep brown eyes that seemed to just sparkle no matter the weather. I had to admit, she was so beautiful that you could confuse her for my age.

"Someone's late for the first time, ever."

"I don't think it's the first time, it can't be."

"You so sure about that?" she sarcastically asked, handing in my time slip. It was true. Every single day since I started working here, I was 15 minutes early.

"Wow" I replied, astonished. I mean, I knew I was early every day for work, but seeing it on paper was something else.

"Wow indeed, you really are committed to your work" Kathrene teased.