Chapter Six - Upside Down

The door to the other room slammed closed, leaving us in red darkness. Everyone gasped for breath, wiping off sleet and snow that covered our faces and hair.

"I can't feel my extremities," Ben panted.

Neon and fluorescent lights flickered on around the room, revealing a normal looking bar with a pool table in the middle. Well, it would've been normal. If everything hadn't been upside-down.

"Sure, why not?" Mike frustratedly sighed, "Glass half full, at least it's warm in here."

I kneeled on the ground, the ceiling tiles feeling smooth on my fingertips. I pushed myself to stand up, but my legs buckled underneath me.

Ben was kneeling next to me, still shivering from the now phantom cold. He must have noticed me struggling to stand after sitting for so long.

"You alright?" He looked at me with soft eyes.

I hesitated for a second. Was I ok?

"Yeah. Yeah, I think so."

The room started to shake and move, almost like it was going up. Were we in an elevator?

What is that, what is that?" Jason shrieked.

"Are we moving?" Mike grabbed a pole that was connected to a sign, bracing himself.

The movement seemed to increase in speed.

Ben absentmindedly grabbed onto my hand, holding it tight. My face felt very hot after that. Interesting. I squeezed his in response.

After a solid minute the movement stopped.

Mike looked around for a second, "How many floors is this building?"

"15 to 20 floors." I said.

"Well I'm guessing they didn't shoot us up here for the view." He slid the red jacket off and threw it on the ground.

Ben eventually stood up, helping me stand up as well.

I felt like a baby deer learning to walk for the first time. I grabbed onto a wall to let the blood flow back to my legs for a minute while everyone else walked around observing the room.

As much as I hated it, this room was actually pretty cool. How they managed to flip everything and still have things function how they normally would is mind-blowing to me. If I wasn't about to die I'd actually be impressed.

But I am about to die. I just don't know how. This room looked harmless.

A loud ringing caused all of us to jump as we all turned our heads to the pool table. Sitting on top of it (or I guess you could say under it) was a red phone connected to a long red cord.

Mike cautiously walked toward it, gazing up and asking the question we all wondered, "How are we supposed to answer that?"

A loud click was heard, and the handset fell out of the switch-hook right into Mike's hand. He held the phone to his head and spoke a careful 'hello'.

A loud, ear-piercing dial up tone played, nearly breaking everyone's eardrums. Mike instinctively threw the phone, letting it dangle off of the table.

Loud music played through hidden speakers, a song I recognized to be "Downtown" by Petula Clark. Dylan likes it, he hums it during work sometimes.

"Guys, hey, this door up here doesn't have a handle," Everyone directed their eyes to where Jason was pointing,"I think we're looking for a doorknob. Let's see what we can find."

Everyone spread out to the rest of the room, looking for clues. I looked at the pool table, and all the colorful billiard balls that were stuck to it. All but one.