Chapter 2: Deal

This is a bad idea.

Sunoo shouldn't have listened to his friend all those days ago. He should not even have taken consideration of his, arguably so, tempting suggestions and conspiracy; because a Jungwon scheme is never a good scheme. Really, he should've known better.

But against all that knowledge and instinct, he still found himself sitting at one of the tables tucked in a secluded part of the coffee shop he's working part-time for, instead of spending his precious break time at the backdoor.

His knee bounces under the table, nerves slowly eating him away as he overthinks every possible outcome of this reckless decision making, and perks up every time the chime above the glass door rings, signaling someone entering the shop.

For the 4th time in  a row in the last 10 minutes, he slumps back on his seat, exhaling a breath he didn't even notice he's holding. He's not sure why he's so nervous but he is.

He fidgets, watching passersby outside through the glass wall instead while contemplating his life decisions.

Why did he let Jungwon brainwash him into thinking this is a smart solution to get back on his older brother again? Well, to be fair, that time it sounds like one to him. It's tempting and exciting and even exhilarating to think how he'll finally be able to grate on his brother's nerves. He can't wait to see veins popping at Jay's forehead as he absorbs the news.

But now that he actually has time to sit down and think about it carefully, turning the plan in his head thoroughly, Sunoo wants to back out.

He raises his eyes at the wall clock hanging on one side of the shop, another 3 minutes have passed. He doesn't have much time left before he has to go back to work, and there is still no sign of Sunghoon. He pulls out his phone from the pocket of his apron, rolling his eyes in annoyance when he notices he didn't even get a text back from the older boy.

He huffs, maybe Sunghoon won't come to meet him. Like Jay, like Sunghoon. They truly are meant to be best friends ㅡ both are so good at getting on his last nerve.

It was after another 5 minutes ㅡ Sunoo was back behind the counter after his uneventful short break, busy taking another order from a sleep-deprived college student when the person he's waiting for finally arrives; rushing inside the coffee shop with a strong push of the front door, the bell chime ringing loudly inside the shop. Sunghoon is wearing black turtleneck under a beige-colored plaid jacket, and a black bucket hat sitting atop his head.

He looks warm enough for the weather but too dressed up for a simple meeting.

Sunoo narrows his gaze, sizing up the newcomer, unimpressed.

Did he go on a date first before meeting Sunoo? That's why he's ㅡ what? 20 minutes late? Sunoo squints his eyes some more from the coffee machine he's manning. Sunghoon must've forgotten about their schedule.

"Sorry, I'm late," the older boy apologizes as soon as he's in front of Sunoo on the counter, a little breathless.

The barista went back to the counter, looking over Sunghoon's  shoulder to count the customers waiting in line behind him. There are 3 more. He looks back at Sunghoon, motioning for him to move aside.

The older looks confused for only a fraction of second, one brow raised in question before he breathes a small, "Ah," in realization under his breath and stepping aside.

He turns to Sunoo, who quickly beams at the customer in line, expression changing in a split second as if someone has flipped his switch, a customary friendly smile on his lips as he takes another order.