Chapter 5: Dead End

He's not sure what time it was when an incessant call disturbed his sleep. His phone vibrated nonstop on top of his pillow when he accidentally fell asleep while reading a pdf version of a book he's been meaning to read.

"Hello?" he croaks over the device pressed against his left ear; right cheek squished against his pillow, eyes still closed.

There's a small hum on the other end of the line that was almost enough to lullaby him back to sleep. And a faint sound of door-like shutting softly.

"Hey, pretty. It's Sunghoon hyung. Sorry for disturbing your sleep."

It took Sunoo a long stretch of silence before his sleep-addled mind finally processed the voice filtering through his ear ㅡ kicking the blanket off his body and jerking awake, eyes blown wide and mouth agape.

The star stickers above his head glow in the dark like an old friend witnessing a comedic scene.

"Sunghoon hyung?" he calls, voice thick and groggy from sleep. "What happened? Are you okay?" His heart starts pounding in his chest, a slideshow of ugly things flashing in his head.

But then there's a cackle, bright and amused ㅡ the sound is enough for relief to quickly wash over him like a cold water being dumped over a crackling fire.

"I'm fine, baby. Sorry, did I scare you with the sudden call?" A soft voice followed by a tinkling laugh that tickles his ear. Sunoo didn't even register the new term of endearment fast enough to call the older boy out, completely distracted by Sunghoon's low voice. He hasn't heard from him for a week, so it came as a surprise now.

"No," Sunoo stutters out, cheeks ablaze when he finally processed what Sunghoon has just called him ㅡ probably a slip of tongue or mind or something. Sunoo doesn't want to think more of it and make it a big deal. "It's okay, hyungie. I was just a little... surprised. I didn't really expect you to contact me anytime soon."

At that, Sunghoon's laugh slowly dies down.

Sunoo immediately taps his mouth with his free hand when his brain finally catches on what he has just said, mentally scolding and grimacing to himself.

Although he's the type to say what's in his mind, still, he worries he might have offended the older boy in any way. Especially now that he can't see Sunghoon's face to gauge his reaction and backtrack.

Clearing his throat, Sunoo tries to salvage the conversation. "You've been busy these days, hyung. Why are you still even awake? You should be resting." He changes the subject quickly, diverting, quietly yawning on the crook of his elbow and rubbing his nose at the soft material of his sleeve.

"Oh, no. It's okay. Just got back from the airport."

Sunoo's forehead creases at what he just heard, squinting in the dark to see a glimpse of his digital clock. 2:47AM. He pursed his lips, trapping the words about to spill. He doesn't want to scold the older boy and accidentally cross a line. It's not his style to mind other people's business.

Sunghoon must've noticed this by the extended silence so he explains, "A friend of mine just landed from abroad. Remember the college friend who owns the dance building? It's him. He'll spend a few vacation weeks here."

Oh.

So that's why.

"I see," he whispers into the phone, not really knowing what to say anymore.

So the older boy has been busy these past weeks preparing for his friend's comeback? How grand is the welcome celebration? Just how special is this said friend to him anyway? Not to compare but Jungwon will literally sleep through the night to get his beauty regimen than wait at the airport to fetch him in the middle of the night.