Lost Memories & Expectations

Jungkook reaches for the space next to him on the bed, sighing when his fingers are met with empty air and cold sheets. It doesn't really come as a surprise. Jimin hasn't slept in the bed - their bed, since last month, or maybe the one before that. But every single morning, without fail, when his brain is still too disoriented to really remember the seriousness of the situation, Jungkook expects to find his boyfriend's warm body next to him, chest peacefully rising and falling with each breath.

Instead, Jungkook stretches his limbs, grunting as he gets up and goes to find something to eat. There's still coffee left in the pot, but it's gone uncomfortably tepid. Lately, Jimin hasn't been waiting for him to wake up before having breakfast, either.

It used to be their thing, sort of. Jimin would wake up first, because he's an insanely early bird like that, something Jungkook could never really understand. He'd make coffee for the both of them, always choosing the most ridiculous mug to give Jungkook - one with tiny pigs hopping from cloud to cloud, or one with "I love my baby bear" written in cursive across the white ceramic.

Jungkook would usually be woken up by the sounds coming from the kitchen, and he'd join Jimin at the breakfast counter, kissing the sweet taste of strawberry jam from his lips.

Sometimes, they would put on the radio and have a small, sleepy, ridiculous dancing session in their pajamas - other times, they would just talk about what they needed to do later in the day, and Jungkook would lose himself in those round honey-brown eyes more often then he'd ever admit to anyone.

The ping coming from his phone snaps Jungkook out of his bittersweet reminiscing. He switches the kettle back on and swaps his finger across his lockscreen, trying not to pay too much attention to the picture of Jimin laughing with a red apron on and flour across his chubby cheeks that he doesn't have the heart to get rid of.

As expected, Jimin hasn't sent him anything - it's just Namjoon, asking if he wants to grab some lunch together later. He sends a quick affirmative response and gets back to his breakfast with a resigned sigh.