𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥

[ Chapter Six ]

Together,

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. He used the internet as an escape hatch." Bruce told the group.

Steve looked directly at Tony as he said, "Ultron." As Natasha dug through a few things, River sat on a table with her legs crossed, "He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." River scoffed, Ultron really didn't give a flying rat's ass about privacy.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodey asked them, walking around with his arms crossed.

Maria spoke up, "Nuclear codes." "Nuclear codes." Rhodey repeated quieter. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can." "Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." River was staying quiet the whole time. She didn't know if it was because of being tired or that Harry had to get back to S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ.

"He didn't say dead, he said extinct."

River looked up at Steve correcting Natasha, "What, like there's gonna be more of us?" She rose a brow, asking that.

"He also said he killed somebody." Clint recalled. River rolled her eyes, as much as she hated Ultron, it wasn't like the Avengers were all sunshine and rainbows either.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building." Maria looked up, thinking back to the time.

"Yes there was." Tony moved from his spot, clicking something. "J.A.R.V.I.S. was the first line of defense. He would have shut Ultron down. It makes sense." Steve realized.

"No. Ultron could have assimilated J.A.R.V.I.S.. This isn't strategy. This is rage." Bruce explained. River's eyes widened slightly when Thor walked up to Tony and held him by the neck.

"It's going around." Clint muttered.

River couldn't make out the words Tony said, and just played with the fire in her hand. Soon enough, Thor set Tony down and started talking, "Trail went cold about 100 miles out, but it's headed north. And it has the scepter." River groaned at that.

"Now we have to retrieve it, again."

"Oh, that's great." River commented, putting her head in her hands. "Clear and present is Ultron." Nat nodded over somewhere. "I don't understand." Dr. Cho turned around.

"You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?" She questioned. Tony chuckled, and River was trying her best not to punch him.

"I swear to the Time Lord, I'm gonna fucking punch him." She mumbled, walking up to Clint and started walking around. Which she shouldn't be doing at the moment, but it was River.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked.

Tony turned to face the god, "No. It's probably not, right? This is very terrible. Is it so... Is it so... It is. It's so terrible." He laughed.

Thor walked closer to Tony, "This could have been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand." River rolled her eyes at the scene that was playing out. Clint looked at her, handing her a cup of tea, "Thank you." She mumbled, taking a sip.

Her ears perked up when she heard Steve say something, "The Avengers were supposed to be different than S.H.I.E.L.D." River didn't get it. Was it that the Avengers weren't "supposed" to have secrets, or that S.H.I.E.L.D. agents would sometimes face the ugly option and shoot, or was it something else that River didn't know about.

"We're the Avengers." "No shit, Sherlock." River said out loud.

"We can bust arms dealers all the livelong day, but that up there, that's... That's the endgame." He pointed to the ceiling.

"How were you guys planning on beating that?" Tony questioned, and Steve answered almost instantly, "Together."

"We'll lose." River watched the interaction between Steve and Tony, and she watched how Steve replied so confidently.

"Then we'll do that together, too."

Clint knows that River needs her caffeine, and is just like, this child needs tea, here you go.

I haven't slept well in the past few days, and I have to get up at 3:30 in the morning tomorrow 'cause I'm going on a 2 week vacation with my family.

I'm still writing though.

Okay, bye!