Part 22: When Fiction Turns Reality

They rushed her to the hospital.

Ryan held right to their baby girl and inside, he shuddered.

This was just like New Amsterdam.

Holding his 'daughter' in an ambulance- while his 'wife' lay dying.

Every minute that passes while he's in the rig- he fears what could come. A car crashing into the rig- flipping them and killing someone he loves. He fears losing her or the baby.

"BP is dropping." A male EMT states.

"We're two minutes out. Get her on oxygen and prepare her with an IV for a blood transfusion upon arrival."

Ryan sits there- never taking his eyes off of Freema. The baby in his arms- swaddled in a throw blanket from Freema's living room- cries and wiggles against his chest.

"How you doing over there, Ryan?"

"I just need her to be okay. I need them both to be okay." He says hoarse and dry mouthed.

"We checked the baby over and surprisingly for 30 weeks- she's as healthy as she could be. Of course the doctors will do a better thorough check of her- but she seems perfect." A female EMT says with a soft smile. Ryan looks down at the lightly brown skinned little girl in his arms, a little bit of wavy black hair and chunky little cheeks that are pinked from her tears. "Try swaying a bit or gently bouncing her in your arms. It should soothe her."

He follows her directions and after a few minutes- she slowly stops crying and opens her eyes to him. Dark brown and squinting, she lets her little lip quiver as she looks up at him.

"See...she just needed a bit of reassurance." His smile flickers on his face for a brief moment- until he hears the heart monitor going off. Lifting his gaze to Freema- he feels his own heart beat quicken.

"ED team is waiting for her. Get the gurney unlatched and open the doors. The driver commands as he puts the rig in park. Everything moves so fast.

Faster than Ryan can process.

Much like in the show- he's ushered in with the baby and left in the corner while they rush Freema passed him on a gurney. The world around him deafens and he feels as if a bomb went off and now every sound is muffled and the edges of his vision blurred.

"Ryan?"

He doesn't notice the doctor before him.

"Ryan!" A hand on his shoulder pulls him and the sound comes screaming back in his face. "We need to take the baby."

"Sa...Sarah- where is she? Where is Freema?" The talk thin framed woman looks at him with calming blue eyes. He knows her very well. She occasional sits on set and feeds them medical advise. They even went on a date once.

He trusts Sarah.

She may be younger than him and half the staff at Bellevue- but she's extremely intelligent and talented.

"She's been taken up to the ICU- they're going to do a blood transfusion and hopefully that will be all she needs."

"She...she needs to make it. Sarah- she needs to be ok."

"Ryan- I can only provide you with comfort. I can't feed you false hope: you need to be prepared for the worst- but pray for the best." She starts to take the baby. "This little girl needs to be looked over. At 30 weeks, she isn't used to all this loud and bright atmosphere. We need to take her to the NICU where it's quiet and she can relax. We'll need you for Kangeroo Care- she can take formula from a bottle and swaddling or nesting is the best way to keep her comfortable. We'll check her organs and lungs- as well as everything else. Are you ready for all that?"