14.

{Alairs POV}

"And the reason you didn't intervene was because you wanted to see if we could work things out? What are you, Cupid?"
I sighed, summarising what Ginger had layed out for me in regards to that night.
"I'm not, but I grew up hearing about the sweet romance between the prince and the kitchen maids son. As stupid as it sounds, I wanted to see where the story would go... Hence my personal interests took over from my rational thinking."
The taur huffed.

I wanted to laugh at what the taur was telling me, but part of me simply couldn't...
"I know what you're thinking. You wouldn't be in the mess you're in right now if it wasn't for me. I could've stopped all this."
The red head continued, his words triggering a thought in my mind.

"You're right... but If you took Cass off me at that door, we would've gone our separate ways and probably wouldn't have spoken for another decade. I would've hated that outcome, but I don't hate this one...not anymore. As kids he'd left something in me that caused me to think of him all that time we were apart. Then when I came of age my instincts took over and I just wanted him, only him. So while this situation isn't ideal, I probably would've lived a miserable life if I'd stayed away..."
I rambled, catching my own thoughts before more fell from my mouth.
"Basically I'm glad you left us to it. I just wish Cass could remember what happened himself."

"He woke up that morning without so much as the memory of getting in bed the night before. According to his mother, he doesn't drink at all, so it's no surprise that he's a lightweight."
Ginger mumbled, looking a bit frustrated himself.
"I... I hope this whole situation doesn't taint your relationship with your child. Truly. You seem like a good person, and Cass is wonderful... That foal will be the kindest of souls, regardless of how they came to exist in this world."
He added.
For some reason his words made me feel awkward. The kind of awkward that left my stomach feeling light and fluttery. Realising why, I smiled.
"You're one of the only taurs to speak so positively of them... Even my own father seems to hate the idea of this foal existing."
I tilted my head so that I could look at my rounded body, the feelings within it putting me at ease.
With my words, the conversation seemed to turn rather personal. Ginger began asking me about what it was like to carry another life, telling me that his body was like mine, but the thought of having a child terrified him... We sat talking for a long while, the conversation ran deep which felt refreshing for me. Being able to speak openly about something I'd felt the need to hide for months, it gave me a sense of pride that chipped away at the shame I felt all those months prior.

-------------------------------------------

{Cass' POV}

It'd been three days since the incident with Ginger and in the days that followed, my father had done nothing but keep us all away from him. As soon as he'd lost control of what was happening, he did everything possible to snatch it back. He'd decided to start the wedding plans out of nowhere, leaving Merra and I tied into strict daily schedules.
While we both struggled to get along, we seemed to find mutual hatred for our unwanted wedding, which, was somewhat comforting considering the fact that we were spending most days together.
And Klein had been ordered to chaperone my mother everywhere, something that even she felt was unnecessary. The clear intention my father had to keep us away from my aid was unnerving, I became paranoid and wary of everyone, worried that my father would order the staff to do something awful. For that reason, and with Gingers permission, I had the doors to the East Wing locked, the only ones holding keys being myself and Klein.
However doing this meant that, despite our lack of free time, Klein and I were juggling Gingers care between ourselves which very quickly became stressful.
Between the uncertainty around my friends health, the pressure from my father over the wedding, and other things that my mind had a habit of bringing up in stressful times, I was quickly becoming exhausted.
Like a cycle, this began to happen consistently. I would pick myself up, things would remain somewhat normal, then something stressful would happen. I'd stop eating, then talking, and eventually stop sleeping. Maybe I was simply weak minded.