Ch. 1: Recruting Archangel pt. 1

"Shepard, this place is a dump!" Miranda groaned. They had just gotten past the Blue Suns and off the shuttle. Commander Hazel Shepard just sighed, looking over at Miranda.

"It's not like we're here for a party," Hazel told her. "We're here on a mission."

"Hey, anythin' involvin' murder and guns is a party to me," Zaeed stated, smirking. Hazel rolled her eyes and Miranda groaned. The batarian who flew them over to the area began to explain the mission, but Hazel zoned out momentarily.

She didn't feel like going on a recruiting spree for a suicide mission. Hell, she wanted her old team back. Garrus, Liara, Tali, Kaidan-

Kaidan.

God she missed him. More than anything.

Does he even remember me? Or has he moved on with his life?

She sighed softly, finally tuning back in to the conversation when she heard Zaeed groan. "That's goddamn suicide!"

"It might be, but you three look like you can handle your own," the batarian told them. "I'll radio in, let them know you're coming." He walked away and began speaking into his omni-tool.

(A.N., I forgot some dialogue and I cannot find a script, I apologize)

Miranda sighed, looking at Hazel. "Did you even get any of that? Because if you're going to zone out-"

"I wasn't zoning out," Hazel spat, glaring. Did Miranda actually notice...?

"Whatever. Let's go after Archangel." Hazel nodded, leading her and Zaeed to their destination.

~~~

"Hey, dad, how, uh... How've you been?" A pause.

"After two years, Garrus, you finally have the sense to contact me?"

"Look, dad, I know how bad I must seem to you, but... Well, I've had things come up and-"

"And what, you have to 'save the galaxy' again? Garrus, do you have any idea-"

Gunshot. Garrus smiled a tiny bit. A clean kill.

"Garrus, what was that-"

"O-oh, nothing, just... There's this new action vid that came out and the sounds are so realistic, it's like you're in the vid itself. Anyway, how's Solana doing?"

His father sighed. "I wish I could say something good. She's been worried sick about your mother."

"How's she been doing?"

"I..." He sighed. "Garrus, why did you call?"

Because I am about to die.

"Can't I call family without so many questions?" Garrus laughed nervously. He looked over his cover and down the scope, spotting three new mercs, different from the rest. One stood out from the rest.

Red hair, gorgeous green eyes.

He took a shot, just a test to see if it really was.

Spirits... It really is her. Shepard, you're... You're alive?

"-rus? Garrus!"

He snapped out of it. "Hm? Oh, sorry, the vid just got... Very interesting."

"Really now... How so?" his father questioned.

Garrus couldn't help but smile. "A rather gorgeous vanguard just came into play."

~~~

Hazel, Miranda, and Zaeed finally worked their way into Archangel's base. Miranda turned to Hazel with an exasperated look. "Did you really have to zap Cathka-"

"Sergeant Cathka," Zaeed interjected, grinning. Miranda glared at him.

Hazel said nothing as they walked into the final room, finding their target. "Archangel?" Hazel called out.

Archangel held up one finger, looking down the scope and taking down another freelancer before turning his gaze to Hazel. He set his sniper down, removed his helmet, and took one look at Shepard, his heart beating rapidly.

"Shepard. I thought you were dead."

Hazel's eyes widened. Garrus?

(Yo, sorry for the SUPER LONG wait. It's been ages since I've played Mass Effect, I've had internet issues, and of course I had to relish in all of the lovely Shepard and Garrus moments~
Anywho, I'm gonna attempt to regularly update this. A chapter a week, maybe, hopefully more?

Lemme know what you think in the comments!)