Ch. 2: Recruiting Archangel pt. 2

"Shepard. I thought you were dead."

~~~

Hazel stared at the turian before grinning widely. "Garrus! What are you doing here?"

"Just keeping my skills sharp. A little target practice."

Shepard was silent for a moment. "You okay?"

"Been better, but it sure is good to see a friendly face. Killing mercs is hard work. Especially on my own."

Hazel was in disbelief. Garrus, one of her best squad mates, alive! She had so many questions...

Of course, the obvious one first.

"Since when did you start calling yourself Archangel?" Garrus shook his head a little, smiling a tiny bit.

Wait, can turians actually smile?

"It's just a name the locals gave me. For... All my good deeds." He chuckled slightly. "I don't mind it, but please... it's just 'Garrus' to you."

"So... what are you doing out here on Omega?"

"I got fed up with all the bureaucratic crap on the Citadel. Figured I could do more good on my own. At least it's not hard to find criminals here; all I have to do is point my gun and shoot."

"I like 'im already," Zaeed stated, smirking a little. Miranda rolled her eyes. Hazel grinned. Who wouldn't like Garrus?

"How'd you manage to piss off every major mercs organization in the Terminus Systems?" she asked, sounding almost impressed.

Garrus looked down for a moment before looking back up at her. "It wasn't easy. I really had to work at it. I am amazed that they teamed up to fight me. They must really hate me."

"Well you did manage to piss off the leaders," Miranda said.

"You nailed me a good couple times, by the way," Hazel pointed out, rolling her shoulders a little.

"Concussive rounds only. No harm done. Didn't want the mercs getting suspicious."

She raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh."

Garrus smirked. "If I wanted to do more than take your shields down, I'd have done it. Besides, you were taking your sweet time. I needed to get you moving." Hazel felt her face heat up slightly.

It's just the cybernetics. That's it...

"Well, we got here, but I don't think getting out will be easy."

"That's a goddamn understatement," Zaeed muttered.

"Zaeed-" Miranda started, before Garrus interrupted her.

"No, it won't. That bridge has saved my life... funneling all those witless idiots into scope." He stood up, motioning for Hazel over to him. "But it works both ways. They'll slaughter us if we try to get out that way."

"So we just sit here and wait for them to take us out?" Miranda asked, slightly annoyed. Garrus shook his head.

"It's not all that bad. This place has held them off so far. And with the three of you..." Hazel and her crew followed him over to the middle of the room. "I suggest we hold this location, wait for a crack in their defenses, and take our chances." He looked at Hazel. "It's not a perfect plan, but it's a plan."

"How'd you let yourself get into this position?" she asked. Whether she was worried for him or upset that he had slipped up in her eyes, Garrus wasn't sure. The question stung all the same.

"My feelings got in the way of my better judgement. It's a long story." He sighed. "I'll make you a deal: you get me out of here alive, and I'll tell you the whole damn thing." Hazel nodded, smiling a little. That made Garrus feel a bit better.

"I didn't like sneaking, anyway." She smirked. "Time to spill a little merc blood."

"Glad to see you haven't changed." Garrus smiled. "Let's see what they're up to..." He walked over to the window and got into position, looking down the scope. Hazel joined his side as he did so.

"Hmm... Looks like they know their infiltration team failed." He handed the sniper to Hazel. "Take a look. Scouts. Eclipse, I think."

Hazel looked down the scope, eyeing the LOKI mechs that jumped over the barricade. She set her sights on one and took it out, watching its head explode and its body drop.

"More than scouts. One less now though." She handed the sniper back to Garrus, who seemed to nod his head in approval.

"Indeed. We better get ready." He turned to her. "I'll stay up here. I can do a lot of damage from this vantage point. You..." He smiled. "You can do what you do best." Hazel nodded, a grin on her face.

"Just like old times, Shepard. Let's give these bastards everything we've got."