Chapter 1: Let's Name Him, Maxwell

It was autumn, the wind was sweet and crisp, and the brown and yellow leaves that fell to the ground piled high all around the small suburbian town of Jacksonville.

The French Vanilla Latte I had gotten from Jerry's Diner left a satisfying taste on my tongue, and the gentle wind that caressed my skin as I drove down the street to Sharon's office left behind a serenity that I only wished I could have bottled up and kept with me at all times.

The engine of my tiny Altima slowly dies down as I remove the key from the ignition. Throwing my car door open, I groan deeply as I lift myself out of the vehicle, and pull my jacket more tightly around my body to ward off the crisp, cool air of the autumn months.

I smile and tilt my head in greeting at the couple that passes by me hand-in-hand just as I enter the office building, and a sting of jealousy shoots through me as I look back at them, smiling loving up at each other.

Sighing silently, I push the arrow pointing up at the side panel of the elevator doors, waiting for one to arrive.

Soon, a subtle ding! alerts me to the arrival of the elevators as the doors slide open, allowing a group of people to pile out of it. As soon as they evacuate, I board the elevator determined to not miss the trip going up.

Soon, I was standing before the familiar door with the name plate Dr. Sharon Smalls, Phd. MD. planted firmly at the center of the door.

Knocking at the door, I wait patiently until I hear the usual clicking sounds of the door knob turning from the inside, and soon, Sharon's wide, pleasant smile greets me as I enter her office.

"Alice, you're just in time." She beams at me in that beautiful british accent of hers, ushering me into her office.

"Awesome, that's good to know. Where's my big boy?" I query as I walk further into her office. Just then, the sound of tiny feet sprinting towards me echo all around the office as Matthew breaks around the corner and charges towards me.

He latches unto my legs and I chuckle at his antics before lifting him into my arms.

"Hi baby, how are you?" I grin, muttering at my son as I hug unto him. He throws his arms around me, with a wide smile, but otherwise remains silent.

I kiss him on the forehead and stroke his fluffy hair as I turn to face Sharon.

"So, any progress with his speech today Sharon?" I ask hopefully, and I watch as Sharon inhales deeply before exhaling a long breath.

"Well, beside the usual one word phrases and confirmational cues,  Mathew is still struggling to speak freely." She mutters solemnly, and I clench my jaws tightly as sudden frustration ignites inside my gut.

Sharon must've seen the disappointment on my face because she hurries on to tell me that she had come up with an idea of something that may help Mathew with his delayed speech.

"Sharon, I don't mean to sound ungrateful or unreasonable, but it's been two years since you've been Mathew Speech therapist. You're services aren't cheap, and I can't continue working with you if Matthew still hasn't shown any progress with his speech. It's getting more and more difficult to tolerate everyday." I mutter quietly, taking into consideration that Matthew was still attached to my hips, and clutched unto me, with his head resting on my shoulders and his eyes closed, probably falling asleep as soon as he had inhaled my scent.

"Alice, I know it's frustrating. Having a child on the spectrum is already difficult enough, especially when you're doing it by yourself. But I promise you, I will have your son talking to you by New Year's. Just, come here for a minute." She mutters motioning me further into the office. Walking around a column I step further into her office, coming face to face with her usual white and creme decor.