𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝐈

յօ 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔰 𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯~ 𝔞𝔫 𝔲𝔫𝔢𝔵𝔭𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔠𝔞𝔩𝔩

There were days Luna would wake up very early, drink her coffee straight, kick on a pair of old running shoes and run across Paris until her legs hurt and her hair would stick to her face in clumps, though her heart still hummed with energy. And there were the bleary days where she would procrastinate in bed for as long as she could before she started receiving worried calls from work. This day was the latter. She had been awake for hours but felt in no hurry to get up. Her heart felt as heavy as the rain cracking steadily against the window panes.

The phone near her bed began to ring loudly, demanding her immediate attention. It still seemed too early for a call from work. But again she hadn't kept track of the hour. Had it really been that long? She considered not answering it. However, at the last minute, she decided against it and picked it up with a slightly annoyed groan of frustration. She frowned, placing the phone between her ear and shoulder as she vainly tried to tame her messy hair that had taken to defying gravity this morning.
    "Hello?" She tempted. Her voice came out in a croak.
    "Luna? Is that you?"
Her heart sank, realizing it was Jeremy's voice. Apparently his question was only rhetorical since he continued. "You've been dodging my calls all week. We really need to talk. I know you're affected by this. Look, we understand you want to be alone right now but I think it would help if we talked about it." Words fumbled into the receiver. He was clearly nervous about how she would react while trying to say the most possible before she would inevitably hang up. "Listen." He stammered. "You don't need to come back here if this is too hard for you... it's just... she's written you into her will."

There was silence on both ends while her mind raced through the implications and as he apprehended her reply.

Once the shock past, anger flared in.
    "I don't want it." She shot back coldly.
    "Don't you at least want to know what it involves?" He asked with a pitch of sorrow that softened the question and made her former reply seem doubly ferocious.
    "She wasn't my mother." Luna retorted. "And you're not my father. You owe me nothing." And she hung up before he could protest.

Her heart contracted sharply as if wounded by her own words. They hadn't done anything wrong. She supposed that was the problem. They were too good. Maybe it would have helped if they were her biological parents. If she hadn't been so troublesome as a child. Or if she hadn't foreseen her adoptive mother's death before it happened. She dabbed harshly at the tear that strolled down her cheek with one over large pajama sleeve and decided she couldn't stay put any longer. She patrolled the kitchen, opened the fridge and swore. She hadn't gone grocery shopping the week before just in case she went through one of her bad days again. If she was truly hungry and in a good mood she would just buy a pain au chocolat at the bakery at the end of the street. She couldn't trust herself with ice cream, frozen pizza or canned corn when she was feeling dreary. And she definitely couldn't foresee her own death but sometimes she'd seriously wondered if it was possible to die from a brain freeze while eating too much ice cream.

She went for the cupboards. They were practically empty too, except for a carton of soup and a jar of jam gone moldy. Her fingers quivering with annoyance, she snatched the carton of soup, not caring how ridiculous it was to have soup for breakfast. However, as she poured it into a pot, she discovered it to be as edible as the jam. Which is to say, not so. She let out a resigned sigh, dumping the carton of solid soup down the garbage can. It was no use going back to bed now, she might as well get ready for work, even if that meant doing so on an empty stomach.

Word count: 676 words (the next chapter is more than double the amount of words) this is basically just an introduction.
Author's note:
I'm having another sleepless night so I thought I'd might as well publish this chapter that's been sitting around for a while now.
I'm sorry the first chapters can be a bit boring with all the details but I want it to sound realistic before I get into the supernatural part or else it might sound weird. Plus there's a lot of background information I have to cover :)