𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝐗𝐗𝐕

գ 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔰 𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯~ k𝔫𝔬𝔴𝔩𝔢𝔡𝔤𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔣

Eager to elucidate the riddle, Edmond and Luna decided to pay a visit to the Saint Germain des près church after exiting the library. It was situated in the 6th arrondissement. Nothing on the outside might have suggested it was particularly special. It looked almost like it could have belonged to a small town in the french countryside.

The wind was sharper and brisker than usual. The two of them gladly avoided its harsh strokes and took refuge behind the church's bold stone walls.

However, it felt like opening a book. The walls on the inside were vividly colorful and home to a large family of characters, their stories unwinding before Luna.

At this time, the place seemed deserted. The noise of traffic, the brutal huffs of the wind were hushed. It were as if this place were its own world, desynchronised in time and in space from the restless city that surrounded it.

The vastness of it made her edge closer to Edmond but he himself seemed to have forgotten her presence. He was walking slowly, observing with concentration the gentle forms arrested in movement all around them. She didn't say anything or try to win his attention back for she didn't want to interrupt. She had a feeling that he was seeing much more than she was. As if he were seeing in time. A memory perhaps.

Then, Edmond's pupils dilated like two ink splotches spreading rapidly on paper. Luna turned to follow his gaze above them. The stained glass showed a tall figure dressed in red. His index heaven-wise raised, a halo like the sun surrounding his head.

"The son," Edmond murmured distractedly.

"What is it?" Luna asked impatiently.

"I am practically certain the riddle refers to this window. Christ. He's referred to as the son. The riddle says he will point out what we're searching for. Look at his hand."

"He's pointing."

"Exactly."

"But it still doesn't make sense. How would dawn cast a shadow? And why seven? Does it maybe indicate the number of bays or windows which might give us some clues?"

"No. There are nine bays in the whole church."

"You've come here often then?"

He paused, turning toward her shyly.
"Yes. Does that surprise you?" A couple stray strands of black hair fell a bit above his eyes, "Do not tell me you believe in those stories where they say to keep a crucifix to protect you from... evil spirits such as myself." A spark of amusement danced in the darkness of his pupils.

"No. No, I wasn't thinking of that..." she countered quickly. "It's just, in all honesty, you don't seem like the type of person that has beliefs." Her thoughts crossed her lips before she could stop herself. She blushed in the cold light that filtered into the church. They had only known each other for a little over a month, all her speculations on the mystery which was Edmond could be highly false.

"Because I'm a scientific researcher that is?" he guessed.

"My mother used to say there were two categories of people. Those who believe what they see and those who see what they believe," Luna admitted slowly.