𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

յօ 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔰 𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯 ~ t𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔦𝔱y 𝔬𝔣 l𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔰

An arm grabbed his wrist. The man's attention flashed with impressive speed to whomever the arm belonged to. However, whoever it was made sure to stay close behind him so that he couldn't identify them without turning around and creating commotion within the crowd.
    "We must take issue on some matters, you and I." He heard his interlocutor whisper. The anonymous arm steered him through the underground into a deserted hall. Before he could react a sharp pain hit him in the throat, nailing him to the wall. A combination of surprise at both the attack and the attacker's identity made him gasp. He stared into calm stony eyes.
    "You can remind Lucinde that these are my grounds." Edmond hissed. The man shrugged and mouthed "I would but—" his eyes moved to the dagger buried in his trachea in self-explanation. Edmond let out an exasperated sigh while dislodging the weapon. The wound healed gradually, leaving only the beginning of a hemorrhage to bear witness to its earlier gaping presence.
    "Fancy seeing you here, Edmond." he greeted. "The last time we talked, I recall, was in March 1871 when you were considering returning to Revel in order to enjoy a more peaceful atmosphere." he chuckled ironically, remembering the far from peaceful insurrections in Paris that had taken place during that very month. "Here let me help you with that." he offered, gesturing to the knife which bore his own blood. He drew what appeared to be an eyeglass cloth from his right shoe which was wrapped around a similar dagger and handed it to the other vampire. Edmond looked at it without taking it.
"Why this sudden hostility, my friend?" The man prompted. "You have never been too bothered by the borders."

Edmond's silver irises grew cloudy. He turned to look around them as if checking that they were indeed alone. Though this was a totally unnecessary precaution to a vampire who could have heard not only the steps of passerby's but also the sound of their heartbeat.
    "Befriending each other was not clever. We can not be friends, Émile." he responded regretfully.
Émile's eyebrows furrowed warily as he wondered what fueled this unexpected change in attitude.
    "Lucy doesn't mind, why should you?"
     "We have less prey this year. The humans are growing scarce. Most of them will be going on holiday soon. Your clan will profit over the tourists. And as you probably know, they have moved the blood donation center to a different location." He emphasized the last words, making it clear he much disapproved of its new location. "My clan is pressuring me to enforce the borders here in Paris instead of retreating to the countryside." He confessed.
    "I have only been going to the Sorbonne for physics classes." Émile uttered defensively.
    "We both know protons and electromagnetic waves aren't the reason you took those three last physics classes." Edmond accused.
    "So you suspect her as well. She's a shifter, isn't she?" He asked avidly.
     "She's an ordinary human." His compagnon bluntly cut him short. "What did Lucinde promise in exchange for her elimination?"
    "Are you sure?" Émile asked, his voice drooping with disappointment. "Lucy was going to appoint me lieutenant. And she had gotten the real estate papers for the building in the Marais sorted out."
    "What kind of shifter hides in a city swarming with vampires?"
     "I don't know. Mathilde is convinced that physics professor is related to the recent floods.Plus, I do agree she smells... odd."

Edmond's shoulders tensed. His pupils enlarged. Indeed, now that neither of them was speaking, Émile could hear the clatter of footsteps and the more muffled sound of heartbeats that accompanied them. He peered down at his blood-covered shirt and buttoned up his jacket in order to hide it.
    "You don't happen to have a scarf do you?" He asked, patting his bloody neck self-consciously.
    "This will have to do." Edmond swiftly stowed his blade away before taking off his coat and handing it to Émile. The collar was high enough it covered his neck.