chapter 6 (grounded)

SONG: I Just Want to Have Something to Do by Ramones

_____

The thing that most sucked about being grounded was the fact that Ida couldn't go out with Jeremy. She told him when she came to work on Saturday, and now, a week after, she was watching him leave his shift an hour early with another girl.

Ida stomped her foot on the ground once Jeremy walked out of the store. 'And he wanted to go out with me,' she said. 'I need a different song.' She walked over to the radio that played the music in the store, and started changing stations until she found a sad song. 'Meatloaf. Great.' Then she slumped down on one of the chairs behind the counter and sighed dramatically.

Donna rolled her eyes and chuckled. 'Come on, Ida. It's not that big of a deal. He said they were just going to study history.'

'Yea, at her house!' Ida exclaimed and slapped her hands on her thighs. 'In her room. On her bed... one thing leads to another and the rest is history. Honestly, he could've just asked me. I know history.'

'You do. You have a vast knowledge of historical events,' Hyde said. He was sitting at the edge of the counter looking through a box of Earl's cassette tapes that he left there to take to his car later. 'But there's something you don't have.'

Ida looked at him. 'Oh, yea? And what's that?'

He smiled. 'Height, tan and ass length blond hair.'

She pointed her middle finger at him and went back to pouting. This was why Ida kept away from boys. It always ended in the same way. But then again, she was the idiot that got herself grounded. And it wasn't like Jeremy and she were a thing. She just thought that he kind of shared the same feelings.

'Where's everyone else?' Hyde asked. 'We agreed to spend the morning with Ida.'

Ida lifted up her head. 'You agreed to spend the day with me?' She stood up from her chair and jumped at Hyde, giving him a big hug. 'Aw, thank you!'

He patted her on the shoulder. 'It's fine, Ida. That's enough.' When she didn't want to let go, he added, 'It's like having a little monkey hanging off of you.'

'Shut up,' she told him, but grinned and then sat down on the counter besides him.

'Well,' Donna started. 'Eric's grandma is visiting today, so he and Red had to go pick her up. I don't know about Jackie and Kelso, but Fez should be coming soon. He got held up at the Sweet Candy Shop.'

'What for?'

'Candy,' Donna said and nodded to herself. 'We gave up dragging him away from the gumball machine and just left him there.'

Ida grimaced. 'I wonder how he still has all of his teeth. He eats candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner.'

'Don't forget morning and afternoon snack,' Donna added. 'How are you holding up after a week of being grounded?'

Hyde looked up at her. 'Why did you have to ask her that?'

'Why shouldn't I?'

'You're about to see.'

Ida glared at him. 'I'm holding up fine. You know, I finally have the time for myself. I painted my nails and did a face mask the other night. And I watch TV and I read. And I also cleaned out my room...' she paused for a moment, '...and I found a photo album in my closet with all our pictures and I remembered how much fun we had while I could leave the house and then I realized I'm miserable and that I hate being grounded!' She threw her face into her hands. 'I hate my life.'

'And this is only the first week,' Hyde told Donna. 'By the third week, she'll resort to fire stoves and rock made tools.'

'Come on, Ida,' Donna said. 'It's just two more weeks. You'll be out of the house just in time for Christmas and then we can go Christmas shopping. And I'll even go with you to that store in the mall that gives away free snowman shaped cookies you like so much.'