Chapter 6

It took me fifteen minutes to walk to the nearest bus stop and another twenty minutes to ride across town. Dead grass and dirt-cracked lots soon bled into lush green yards and sprawling lawns, which was the first sign that I had arrived on the good side of town. Here, the fences were painted bright white and little dogs barked from their towering windowsills and fancy cars peeked out from the safety of temperature controlled garages.

People on this side of town always stare, as if they have never seen a girl in ripped jeans and a cheap jacket. Then again, it would not surprise me if they truly haven't ... it is hard to see much of anything when dollar signs keep shining in your eyes.

But despite their stares, I trudged along all the same. What else can one do when they are at a disadvantage? These people assume I am trouble and it is easier to let them think what they want, at least they won't bother me if they are afraid of what I might do. Or what I might steal.

The street of the Luxton house had been impressive in the middle of the night but it was unexplainably extraordinary when revealed in full light. Glamorous houses, expensive cars, flashy yard decorations screaming for attention. It was like walking through a Home Goods magazine, even the people were posed like models. Women watering flowers, men collecting newspapers, children getting ready for school.

It was too ... normal. It made my skin itch.

I hurried to reach the Luxton estate. My intrusion the night before last allowed me to bypass the front gate, which was a large and perplexing design of twisted metal and brick. But now, I was stopped just outside the front gate by none other than Foxtrot, the guard I had snuck past and evaded two nights ago.

"Noob." I muttered to myself.

He looked up from the morning paper he was reading and blinked, "Oh. Hello, I'm sorry, I didn't see you standing there. Can I, um," He looked me over once, "Help you?"

"I'm here to see Bellerose Luxton."

Amusement slipped over him, "Is that so? You're here to see the young master of the house?"

He wasn't exceptionally muscular, perhaps back in his youth but his years must have caught up with him and now his physique had been softened by a few too many burgers and a few too many nights on the couch instead of keeping up with a disciplined exercise regimen. But I doubt any of that had affected his eyesight and the bulky gun hanging from his hip implied that his aim probably outranked my skill.

After all, bullets trump fists.

I took a more peaceful approach, "He probably is expecting me. Can you let him know I am here?"

Even though he was still doubtful, he pressed the call button on an intercom beside the gate, "I have a visitor for the young master."

A second of silence passed before a woman's voice replied, "Name, please?"

Foxtrot looked at me for an answer and I said loudly so the receiver would hear, "Valencia."

The woman was impatient, "Last name?"

"Smith." I lied smoothly. Foxtrot laughed, obviously seeing through my lie, but he held his tongue while the woman requested patience as she passed along the message.

Afterward, Foxtrot cleared his throat, "Valencia Smith, huh?"

I clasped my hands innocently in front of me, "Is there something wrong sir?"

He shook his head, still smiling, "Not at all, miss. Just a rather ordinary name for a not so ordinary visitor. That's all."

"I am sure there was a compliment hidden in there somewhere." I responded with a smile of my own.