Chapter 7

"Well that went better than I thought."

He must not have been in the same room I was just in.

"Thanks for the heads up by the way." I bit at him, "I would have been a little more prepared to answer their questions if I had known they were going to interrogate me."

Bel scratched at the back of his head, "It was not an interrogation. It was a friendly discussion that involved a lot of intense questions."

"I believe you just defined the word, interrogation." I retorted.

Once back in the main hallway, Bel stopped in front of a door that opened to a very large coat closet. Rows of jackets and shawls circled the space within and shelves along the floor housed numerous pairs of shoes, scarves, gloves, and any other weather essentials. Bel reached for a tan jacket with dark brown cuffs and threw it over his arm.

I watched him closely, "Are we going somewhere?"

He nodded, "Of course, we have a lot to get done. Did you not hear my old man? We are against a very strict deadline."

"A deadline for what?"

He didn't answer, he was already on quick route for the door.

My god, he was like a damn puppy! Always jumping from one place to another, never sitting still, never paying attention. I cannot work like this ... I mean, I don't even like dogs. I prefer cats.

I cut in front of his path to the front door and stopped him from taking another step forward. His eyebrows pulled together, "What are you doing?"

"We need to talk."

"We can talk on the way-"

"No. Now."

He scowled at my firm tone, "Fine. But make it quick."

"That is the problem, you are moving through this too fast. I don't know anything about the contract you want to sign with me other than it involves some dead guy's treasure. I don't even know what you want me to do."

He tried stepping around me, "You know exactly what I want you to do, I expect you to protect me-"

"From what? Other mercenaries hired to kill you? Other treasure hunters with their own bodyguards? Do I need to prepare for guns and bombs or do all you geeks use buccaneer swords and cannons? I have never been on a treasure hunt," And I felt stupid for having to say those words out loud, "So I don't know anything about this world of yours. Are you planning on jumping from cliffs, diving for sunken ships, exploring crumbling structures? Will we be trudging through jungles, will there be deadly animals and gigantic bugs? Are you allergic to anything that I should be aware of? What atmosphere will we be in? Do I need to protect you from frostbite, heat stroke, volcanic activity for crying out loud?! Do I-"

"Alright!" He exclaimed with both hands up, waving, to stop my endless list of questions, "I get it. You need to know more to do your job properly. I suppose I have not been the most forthcoming with information, so I apologize."

"I don't want you to apologize, Bel. I want you to talk to me, this isn't going to work if we don't have total, unobstructed, clear communication between us." Maybe I had come on too strong, he looked upset. I backed off a little and gave him some air to think, "I take my job seriously and I don't cope well with failure. So I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep my word to your parents, but I can't protect you if I am constantly walking blind."

He nodded along, "I understand where you are coming from. Truly I do."

"Then let's start with where we are going." I don't need to know all of it at this very moment, but I need to know something. Anything. Even if it is small, because the smallest details can sometimes make the greatest difference.