- five -

"okay so a little mission is what we're going to do here, okay?" renjun spoke up as the other two as he laid out an old paper with scribbles and neat lines on it. it was a map that was made by renjun himself, if that's what jaemin can assume.

"there are guards that have long term memories and can remember people's faces amazingly well. they usually guard the front gates of the palace. they remember me as the head chef, who usually cooks specially for the king himself."

both mark and jaemin nodded, listening attentively to what renjun was saying.

"and, if i'm not wrong, they may remember mark too as he once entered the palace to treat a servant with high fever." mark nodded in approval of renjun's statement.

"now our main problem is jaemin."

"i need to get a job inside the palace, don't i?" he gritted his teeth and looked at the both of them who nodded slowly.

"and that's going to take a few days, buddy."

silence took over the room as they all stared at the map which had been a little crinkled because renjun had leaned on it too much and had accidentally crumbled it. their own thoughts were filled with countless different ideas, but none of them seem to have a satisfying result. but when renjun looked up and clicked his fingers, the other two looked up to him surprised.

"maybe, just maybe, doyoung hyung can help!"

"doyoung... hyung?"

-

"no, renjun. i certainly can't." the tall and perfect looking man said with a slight bow as renjun's eyes looked up at him with hope.

"please, hyung. there must be an empty spot just for a job inside the palace." they three, four with doyoung, were talking in front of the palace, a few meters away from the guards who permitted them four to talk freely. doyoung used to be a school senior as well, just like mark.

but after knowing about his curse if he came back to the present time, he decided to find a permanent job in the palace and live in that era. being extremely lucky, he bumped into a former old butler who apparently plans to retire once doyoung said that he needed a job to survive.

and so the job as the butler for the king was passed onto him. doyoung had met the king many times already, during breakfast, when he was called by the king personally, or even during dinner time, where the king ordered the chef, renjun, to cook some food for them both.

"and who are you searching a job for?"

"it's me, sir." jaemin peeped out of his hiding and showed himself to the tall and elegant butler. he squinted his eyes on the foreign face he couldn't recognize.

"are you new around here? i have never seen you before."

"uhm.. yes, i actually just arrived here a few days ago. pretty complicated arrival, i must say." jaemin let out a small awkward laugh, feeling a bit intimidated by the butler's gaze towards him.

"at least try to look some jobs up in the castle, hyung? i'll make sure to bake some of your favorite cream cheese bread, alright?" renjun's voice softened as he was speaking, letting out a little whine and a small pout. mark snickered at the back while jaemin coughed awkwardly. finally after several trials, doyoung exhaled heavily.

"fine. i'll try to look for some work for you, young man."

"it's jaemin, sir. you can call me jaemin." the speaking male smiled as he bowed a little to show respect.

"yeah he's going to take a lot of work to do." doyoung whispered his way to renjun who, apparently, was near him while mark and jaemin were busy wandering around and walking in small steps.

"indeed he is. but trust me, he's not as handful as mark hyung is when he arrived here." renjun snickered and went to approach his other two companions while doyoung was left in deep thought. that noon, they decided to go shopping at the small market where they sell their crops, meat, fishes, and many more.

jaemin decided that he'd buy some clothing since he didn't feel comfortable borrowing from mark nonstop. renjun bought some spices and veggies while mark just decided to watch them shop happily. they also didn't forget to buy some kimchi to top it all off.

next, after spending some hours at the market, they visited the stable where they met renjun's young horse that he took care of since it was a baby. jaemin thought that the creature looked extremely gorgeous and magical. it was a brown horse with silky chestnut manes and a tint of black at the hooves. even the saddle looked extra pretty. renjun named it byeol which apparently means 'star', a simple but graceful name.

"i met her in the woods while I was picking some nuts and berries. she got shot in the leg by an arrow, maybe a hunter or a soldier." the owner of the horse shrugged and they walked by to check on another horse.

"she's gorgeous." indeed she was. the horse was a white-furred, elegant creature with shining manes and black pearly eyes.

"yes, she is. she's doyoung hyung's beloved horse." mark popped in as he smiled proudly at the horse who looked at him with curiosity. he chuckled when the creature came closer to him and sniffed on his head.

"what's her name?" jaemin asked and renjun looked back at the horse, smiling.

"gyeoul, or you can call her winter." the boy nodded and smiled too.

the rest of the day they spent walking along the stream near mark's clinic home and cooking some food for both lunch and dinner. it was yet night again, and jaemin might have to get ready for tomorrow as it may be his first day at work inside the castle. if the butler was able to find a job for him.

-