Shouldn't Have

There was something scarily beautiful about Elise.

It had been some time since the wedding between Bash and Mary, and here was Elise, with her long ravenous hair and alarming blue eyes that complimented her cold, rosy cheeks. She looked mature for her age, well grown and healthy, a diamond smile that could bring anyone to their knees. But her beauty almost wasn't human. She looked powerful, releasing an angelic aura.

Currently, she was standing in the cold. She had a hardy winter coat and scarf tied around her neck, a hat on her head that belonged to Gilbert. Her hair tumbled perfectly down her back, which curled at the ends in a natural but elegant way. Her hands were shoved in her pockets, shivering on the sidelines of the lake that had been iced over all winter. Her stockings clung to her legs frantically with her dark boots finishing off her outfit.

She stood next to Ruby and Josie, watching the school boys play ice hockey on skates. Ruby had been very loud about her eyes being drawn to Gilbert while Elise took a silent admiration next to her. At the sound of a horse, Elise looked behind Ruby and found Anne walking towards the girls. They exchanged pleasantries, but soon after, Anne spotted the abandoned notebook at Ruby's feet.

"Ruby, you're supposed to be covering the game. Where are the highlights? Do you even know the score?" she pleaded. Before Ruby could make up an excuse, Josie brushed her off, "It's just a school newspaper, Anne, not The Daily Telegraph." Ruby quickly agreed, "We don't even need an article about the game - we're all here."

"She's busy ogling you know who," Elise teased, just before Billy skated over to the three girls and scraped them so the ice would fly towards them. The girls giggled in gossip while Elise never found anything intriguing about Billy.

"Cad! Bounder!" Josie called out after him. "Josie! You've really caught Billy's eye!" Tilly smirked. Jane rolled her eyes, as she was standing with Tilly and Diana, "Oh, I'm trying to make my peace with it."

"With what?" Tilly asked. Diana leaned over, "That Josie may become her sister."

Before they could laugh, Jane added, "In law. Sister in law." She said it loud enough so that the other girls could listen as well.

Anne took out her pen and huffed, "Alright. I'll write the article. Who are the team captains this week?" "Gilbert," Ruby immediately answered and seemed to draw a blank on the other captain. Elise rolled her eyes playfully.

Throughout the game, even Diana had gotten an acknowledgement from Moody, who she sinisterly rejected to the other girls as her family would never allow her to marry someone who did not have wealth. Elise thought that was foolish. Gilbert had paid a visit to the girls, skating over and playfully standing next to Elise, who had to look up to meet his eyes. He grinned and pushed her lightly with his shoulder, making her giggle. He leaned over and looked at Anne's notebook, "I thought Ruby was covering the game?"

Tilly giggled, "She's very preoccupied. With a certain someone." Gilbert was as clueless as he ever was and did not notice Ruby's intense stare at the minimal amount of space between Elise and Gilbert.

He looked down at Elise again, "Hope your head is warm." He smirked and skated away from the girls, making Elise's heart start to slow and her eyes fixate on his skating body. Ruby shrieked, "He noticed me! He looked right at me and smiled!" Sometimes Elise found it almost funny how Ruby interpreted things, but kept herself out of the obsession she had.

Josie looked at her, "You're delusional." "Ruby Blythe," Ruby pondered. Elise rolled her eyes again, less playfully this time.

Elise watched how two of the Natives came to drop off the sticks they made for ice hockey. Gilbert stopped by and ordered a stick as Anne made her way over to ask about being featured in their newspaper. Elise then observed as Billy walked over and that made Elise start her walk over to them as Billy threw his sweaty handkerchief at them. Elise quickly picked it up and slapped it against his chest, "Is there a problem?" She then turned to the two natives and smiled brilliantly, "I'm so very sorry for him. He's terribly rude." Billy took the hint and walked away as the native girl looked at her in awe.