Chapter Five: My Sins Are My Pride

Trigger Warning: Human trafficking, sexual assault

Charvi watches Ella and Maya drukenly grind on the man who had just finished his DJ set. He's ugly, Charvi thinks, so it's no wonder he looks as if he's struck gold.

It's a cold January night. She had been dragged out to the clubs of Hell's Gate for a night of celebration by Zac, Maya, Ella and other old friends from high school who had been following their musical journey.

Zac places a shot in front of her, handing the rest that had just been delivered out to the others at the booth.

He raises his, grinning blearily at Charvi, "To the Queen of The Beat! Luna Jorj!"

"To Luna!" 

The shots are raised and downed. Charvi enjoys the burn as it goes through her and considers perhaps getting drunk tonight. It had been a miserable couple of days, despite the success of just releasing her new song 'Isolation' on The Beat and breaking yet another record.

She had not run into Klavdiya, in Metropolis or the Demon Realm. Meaning she had not been able to get Jon's number. Their connection would stale, and at it would get to late to contact him without being weird.

Still...she feels more hope in herself than usual. While their kiss could boil down to the atmosphere, the drinks and most importantly, the tradition of a New Years Kiss, something felt extra special about this one.

"You want to talk about it?" Zac asks, resting his head on my shoulder. "I mean you never do. But I'll always ask just in case."

Charvi smiles, but only because he can't see it.

"Talk about what?"

There's a few beats of silence- if it can be called that in a dirty, dark, bass pumping club full of drunk people. Charvi imagines Zac rolling his eyes at her playing dumb in those moments.

"Something's got you down."

"What else is new?"

"Is it your parents?"

"No."

"Mathis?"

"No." 

Even as they talk her eyes remain on Maya and Ella. As usual Charvi had arrived late to the celebrations, skipping the pre-drinks and release party at the apartment, showing up at the club instead.

Her two female friends were already far gone in tequila by the time she had got there. She can tell they're barely standing while they gyrate awkwardly on the dance floor.

"Is it a guy?"

Reggie returns from the bar with a gimlet for Charvi. Once she drinks it she decides to let Zac in, solely to breathe life into her dying image of Jon.

"Met an eleven at that New Years party."

"A plus ten? Really?"

"A twenty, a hundred, a million, take your pick, he was hot."

"Okay," Zac raises his hands in defense before his own drink is carried over by a server. A huge fishbowl cocktail with two straws in it. Charvi takes one of them without being asked and starts sipping it with him.

"Did you fuck?"

"I would have let him," she admits, "But he was too gentlemanly for that. We kissed for New Years."