Chapter 5: I'd Never Treat Me This Shitty

I took a sip of my double gin and tonic as I glanced over to Jamie who was sitting beside me sipping on his beer trying to avoid my eye contact. Gwen and Stevie were nervously looking over at each other while sipping on their drinks. This night could have not gone any more wrong. After Jamie and I caught our dates with one another, the walk of shame back to the double with Gwen and Stevie was mortifying.

"So, Jamie, what's good here?", Stevie asked as he was examining the menu. Jamie shook his head and put his beer down, "I usually just get the surf and turf dinner." He said looking down at the menu. Stevie nodded in agreement with him and put his menu down, "Gwen, you'd like the Carbonara that they serve here." Jamie continued, Gwen smiled and said, "I was just thinking about getting that."

"Marr, I know how much you love chicken parm – they have the best one in the city", Jamie finished. I caught eyes with Gwen as I put my drink down and looked over at him. He used my nickname so casually as if he didn't break my heart and left me aching for him for five years. This is the first time in five years that we've seen each other and he's acting as if nothing has happened between us. I tried to hold my composure, but I could see that Jamie knew I was upset, "Actually, that's not my favourite dish anymore." I said. Jamie looked at Gwen and Stevie then back at me, "Sorry", he shrugged it off and went back to looking at the menu.

I was so angry with him, but I didn't want to lose it in this restaurant or in front of Stevie and Gwen. After all, it was me who dragged them here and I didn't want to embarrass them or give Jamie the satisfaction of seeing me still upset. "You know what, I think I'm going to go home. I have class early and there's still a couple of articles I need to read up on. You guys have fun", I said as I grabbed my purse and got up. Gwen crossed her arms and gave me daggers, and Stevie asked, "How are you going to get home?". I shrugged, "I'll walk.".

As I headed towards the door, I could already feel the tears on my cheeks. Why did I think that this was a good idea? I came here to Dallas to try to get over Jamie, I knew how stupid it was to do this here, but I had to. I couldn't be alone in Victoria while Gwen and Stevie came here alone, I had to join Gwen at school and be with my best friends. They're the reason why I wasn't stuck in my bed for five years. It was hard to go out after Jamie broke up with me because everywhere there was a memory of him.

Gwen and Stevie changed that, and I came to Dallas because I knew once they left, I would go back to thinking of my memories of Jamie. What a stupid decision this was. Jamie still had a hold on me after all these years, I don't know why I thought dinner would work.

"Marra"

I knew exactly who that voice was. I kept ignoring it and continued on walking, I heard the steps getting closer and I felt a hand on my shoulder turning me around. As I predicted it was Jamie, as I got a closer look at him, I could see how much he had really grown up. I tried to ignore him in the restaurant but now I had no choice. He wasn't the same boy that I knew in Victoria. He was looking down at me taking me all in as well, even after all these years I was still so attracted to him.

Even though that moment felt like a century, it was only a split second – I took his hand off my shoulder, "What?" I asked.

"I didn't want to be the third wheel with Gwen and Stevie so I'm heading home. Did you want a ride?"

I rolled my eyes and turned around, "No thanks". As I went to turn around, Jamie grabbed my arm and smiled, "Still as stubborn as always" he said. I took my arm out of his hold, "Still as persistent as always." I snapped back.

"You seriously won't get in the car with me?"

"No"

Jamie's smile faded quickly and he rolled his eyes. He threw his arms in the air and started walking towards his truck and I started to walk away. He was still close enough within earshot of me as I heard him say, "Some things never change" to him. I quickly stopped in my tracks and turned around and headed towards him, "Things change. I've changed. Thanks to you", I shouted at him. I started him as he turned around, and I could the people walking towards their car staring at us.

Jamie took me by the arm and pushed me over to the side as to not cause a scene. He was mad, I could see a blush going down his neck. "You really want to do this right now?", he asked annoyed.

"Yeah, I do. Don't you dare act like after all this time we could go back to normal. Don't call me Marr, don't act like you know my favourite food. Don't act like you know anything about me. That girl you knew was left behind five years ago." I shouted, I could feel my voice crack mid-sentence and the tears flowing down my face, but I didn't care. I never had the chance to say any of that to him within the past five years.

Jamie shook his head and crossed his arms, "Marra I didn't mean to hurt you – "

I quickly cut him off.

"That's bullshit. You left me behind in Victoria like I was some old piece of furniture, as you came on to your shiny new life in Dallas. I thought I was worth more to you than that", I wiped the tears on my cheeks. I could see Stevie and Gwen in the distance coming towards us.

Jamie's face immediately changed as he saw me begin to cry. He tried to pull me in for a hug, but I pushed him off. I looked up at him and he seemed shocked and there was some hurt in his eyes, "I'd never treat me this shitty" I said quietly and walked towards Stevie and Gwen.

Gwen hugged me as I sobbed into her shoulder, "Let's go home" Gwen said as she led me towards the car. 

Authors Note:

Hey guys! Sorry, my update took a while and I apologize if my writing isn't the best. Getting back into writing again for fun after years of not doing it can be tough, but I'm working on it! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter :) I'll try my best to pop out another one soon!