CHAPTER TWO.

THE SCHOLARS IN THE HALLWAY RAISED THEIR EYEBROWS AS THEIR FELLOW PEER RACED PASSED THEM.

Najah was ecstatic with happiness. All that time she spent studying paid off. She had taken her test for English 112, Introduction to African American Literature, and she aced it. Her professor gave her testing scores back and told Najah that he was very proud of her. She received an A+ with no imperfections, everything was perfect.

Currently, the excited young black woman raced down the hallway excitedly with a smile on her face. She wanted to tell Cassius and Adrian. She was always the smartest out of them all and everytime she did great on a test or essay, she would tell them and boast a little. Her fellow scholars wondered why she was so happy to be running through the school, but they made way for her.

Najah ran into the cafeteria and saw Cassius and Adrian sitting at a round table.

"Y'all!"

Adrian was too busy looking off in the distance to pay attention, but Cassius turned his head to see his female friend that stood at only four eleven. "Wassup, Naj?"

"Look!" She happily held up the piece of paper that had her grade on it.

Cassius' lips turned upward into a smile as he started to congratulate her. "Congrats, Naj! I'm proud of you."

"Thank you," Najah pulled the chair out next to him and sat down, placing her bag down on the ground next to her. "You need to catch up, get on my level! It might take you a while, but you'll get there." She joked.

Cassius put her in a playful headlock, "Now what you gon' do?" Najah giggled and tried to get out of his hold on her.

Adrian finally stopped looking in the distance and took notice of the other two people that filled his friend group. "Don't y'all start with that boo lovin' shit right now."

Adrian, as well as almost everyone on campus, thought that Najah and Cassius had some romantic tension and would make a cute couple. As for the two themselves, they always denied these claims and didn't speak on it much. 'We're just homies!' they would always say.

Cassius let Najah go and she rolled her eyes, "Ain't nobody boo lovin'!"

"What you so focused on?" Cassius asked, turning his black baseball cap to the front.

Adrian nodded his head in direction of what took his attention. "Look."

Cassius and Najah turned around to see Chyna sitting not too far behind them, and her boyfriend was sitting across from her. She seemed to be engaged in whatever he was saying to her because the smile on her face was wide enough to the point that you could see her pearly whites.

Najah faced Adrian. "Is that her boyfriend?" She pointed.

Adrian bent Najah's finger back, "Girl, what's wrong with you?! You don't be pointin' at nobody when you talkin' 'bout 'em!" He whispered. "But yeah, that's her man. Bitch ass Stacy."

Najah mugged Adrian while rubbing her finger as Cassius choked on his water.

"Wait a minute, his name is Stacy?" He laughed.

"Yeah," Adrian nodded. "I like callin' him Bitch Ass though."

"You crazy, A." Najah chuckled.