Chapter 11: Dancing, Discover, Daughter

Stiles is walking down the school hallway when he notices it – a poster for the upcoming Spring Formal. Stopping to look at the detail, Stiles' thoughts drift back to the conversations his friends had been having over the past weeks, discussing their dresses, their suits, and limos. Stiles would have joined in if he thought for a second that he would be able to make it to the dance. His stomach has expanded even further, disrupting his regular gait, and slowing his pace, and he's being tormented by a new wave of pregnancy symptoms. Stiles has always relied on his speed, his racing mind and slight body, but he's been altered so much these past months, Stiles isn't sure he recognises himself anymore. So, a changed body and scattered mind doesn't exactly make for the best dancing companion.

The dance is in a week's time, exactly a month before exams begin, and also because the universe has a sadistic sense of humour, his baby is also due to arrive in the world a month after that. Stiles wonders if that time that he walked under that ladder, or stepped on that crack or smashed that mirror, created enough bad luck to lead to the colossal shitstorm that is his life now.

Stiles rips the poster down and stuffs it in pocket. This one won't be missed as there are plenty more around school, but it feels good to be a little bit destructive. Hearing approaching footsteps, Stiles steps back from the evidence of his vandalism and crams the paper even deeper into his pocket. Swinging round, he faces an unimpressed Lydia, the look on her face already telling Stiles she is aware of his destructive act.

"Suddenly not a fan of Spring Formals or trying to get ahead on the recycling?" Lydia inquires, her manicured nails settling on her hips.

"Well, you already know I have two left feet and helping the environment is never a bad thing. The ice caps are melting, rainforests are burning, the world is disastrous right now, so why shouldn't I do my bit?" Stiles answers haughtily, taking a step back from Lydia's scrutinising gaze.

Lydia tilts her head slightly to the right, as though she is trying to get a better read on him and a different angle would achieve that. "Walk with me," she orders, and no one refuses Lydia Martin lest they want to be beheaded.

Stiles follows her to the lacrosse field and up onto the bleachers. She settles primly, easing out the wrinkles on her skirt, still managing to look regal despite sitting on a grimy high school bleacher. She waits for Stiles to nervously ease down onto the bench next to her. "What's up?"

Stiles sighs, knowing there was no way that he could hide anything from Lydia. If she hadn't already set her heart on being a mathematician and winning the Field's Medal, Stiles would encourage her to become a detective. There is no way that any criminal would be able to hide a secret from her. "I don't know what to tell you Lydia, but do I look like someone ready to tear up the dancefloor?"

Lydia wrinkles her nose at his wording. "Stiles, I don't think you could 'tear up a dancefloor' if your life depended on it, never mind if there's a baby swimming around in your womb. You have no rhythm," she reminds him, a smirk on her face because she knows it's true. Stiles had escorted Lydia to an eighties themed dance when they were twelve and that was proof enough. Her boyfriend at the time had annoyed her, so she decided to piss him off by taking the last guy anyone expected her to take. They had a good time; it was the first time Stiles felt a proper connection with her rather than just oscillating between fearing her and being in awe of her. But she's right, although Stiles managed to weasel some laughs and smiles out of Lydia with his bad jokes, brightening her mood, her chuckling was mostly produced by her watching his awful dance moves and nearly getting her toes stepped on during the slow dances. She made up with her boyfriend by the end of the dance and Stiles spent the rest of his dancing time with Derek, loving the goofy grin Derek always had on his face when he watched his mate flail around which he considered to be dancing. Derek didn't mind that Stiles went to the dance with Lydia, knowing that she needed it, and was even happier with the outcome when he saw real signs of the two becoming friends.